cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Online-only files aren't syncing/appearing consistently on a team member's Mac. Any fixes?

Explorer | Level 3

So we have a new team member in my office and for some reason she can only access some of the files in our expansive online database. With smart sync, I understand that files do not download to your local computer unless you click on them to use/edit, therefore manually requesting them, but the files dont even show up in her finder with the online-only icon. The folder just shows the mixed-file icon. This doesnt make any snse because some files downloaded just fine to eb able to access (even before she access them the first time) and now these other ones have not. Please help.

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Re: Smart Sync questions

Explorer | Level 3

I have seemed to fix this on my own. If I right clicked on the folder in question, clicked smart sync, then online-only, it generated all the "missing" files from my team member's computer. That still should not have been necessary as they shoul have shown up as online only files to begin with, but at least I figured out a possible fix whenever files dont seem to be there.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @RheaM, I appreciate the detailed description!

I’d be interested in seeing whether upgrading to Catalina has affected in any way, as your posts echo what’s been described on this thread, where other Community members have reported that this is attributed to Symbolic links. Are you familiar with this functionality by any way? 

Despite the diagnostics phase being slightly different, Joint S.’s detailed walk through here may be the Solution you’ve been looking for. Would you mind giving it a go whenever you have some spare time?

Please keep me posted on how my suggestions/pointers work for you or if I’ve misunderstood anything along the way. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, thanks for the response. The other two computers in the office have both updated to Catalina and dont have this issue (also did not have this issue during the beta testing of Catalina), so I'm not sure that is what is causing it for the third computer. I did not try pausing and unpausing since the icon did not say it was actually syncing anything, so I'm not sure if that wouldve worked. Also, I was not using symlinks in any way.

The files appeared when I right clicked on the folder where the files shouldve resided, clicked smart sync and selected online only. At that point all the online only files populated immediately. Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for taking the time to diagnose that & keep me updated on the temporary fix @RheaM

It’s great that you’ve now managed to resolve that, however I’m wondering if that’s merely been a one-off for your colleague. Did it just affect a fraction or their entire account? 

As you mentioned that they're a new addition to your team, I’m wondering whether she had been experiencing that during the initial sync. If that was the first time she linked to this device, then maybe it was rather a delay than a discrepancy. 

Hopefully this brings us a bit closer to having this sorted. Let me know if & how any of the above may apply regarding what you’re experiencing!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, 

I think it affected the entire account. On multiple occasions over the weekend, she did the same right click on folder > smart sync > online-only and it made more files appear. She has been new to our team for 3 or 4 weeks now, and it haas apparently been like that the whole time; it is with a mixture of old files (before she came on board) and new ones though, so I'm not sure why it started.

It could definitely be a delay, but we arent sure. The good thing is that the found files stay there and dont disappear again, so over time it should clear itself up. Hopefully! 

Thank you.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
I have to admit that I haven’t seen anything similar before, however it’s great that the files you’ve synced upon right-clicking appear on your Mac now @RheaM.

I’d suggest leaving this discussion open as a direct point of contact with me just in case you need further assistance in the future &/or as a point of reference to other Community members.  

I appreciate your ongoing cooperation as we’ve been working on that! 

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?