cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only old file is in Dropbox; all new versions are gone! Help

Only old file is in Dropbox; all new versions are gone! Help

Explorer | Level 3

I am working on a book and the last time I saved, was last thursday. Today I wanted to continu writing. But the only version Dropbox now has is from monday. I put in a lot of work since monday, so I am very unhappy that everything I did since monday seems to be gone. 
What to do?

3 Replies 3

Re: Only old file is in Dropbox; all new versions are gone! Help

Dropboxer

Hey there @Wanda Netherlands, I'm sorry to hear about the situation!

Just so I can have a better understanding of what happened here, can you clarify for me where you were making these recent edits? Were you editing the files through the website, desktop app or mobile app?

Also, if you check the version history for the file, do you see the recent edits that you saved there?

Let me know and we can take it from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thank you for your response. 

I have been working on my laptop in Word and syncronizing automatically to Dropbox.

When I look at the versions, I do not see the recent version; It should be dated 29th of July, but the most recent is 28th of July and that one does not have all the edits I made on thursday. 

I am so sad.

wanda

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Wanda Netherlands!

It seems like those edits may not have synced to Dropbox then I'm afraid, so we won't be able to restore them from the version history.

I'd suggest checking within Word though to see if you can restore the previous version edits from there. You can check out more info about this from here.

Otherwise, as a last attempt to get back those edits, you can try checking in the Dropbox cache folder for this file to see if the version is within there. The steps in this article mention how to clear the cache folder, however you can use the steps instead to just locate the folder.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?