Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open files from Overview

brennalhughes
Explorer | Level 3

There seems to be a bug with the pinned files in Overview. For Microsoft files, I can open the file preview but, when I select the "Open" dropdown, the only options is to open the file in Google, not the new Microsoft Online interface. This is not true if I open the same file from its folder location.

(I solved this for myself by setting my Default editing app to the Microsoft option, but this is not always my preference. I would prefer to retain the choice via the Dropbox online preview.)

5 Replies 5

Re: Open files from Overview

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @brennalhughes, thanks for reaching out to us here!

That does sound rather strange.

Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the options you see for the file if you disable the default editing app option?

Let me know!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

brennalhughes
Explorer | Level 3

Sure. This is from another user who shares that folder but doesn't have the defaults set for Word docs. I've seen the same (lack of) options now on multiple devices & accounts.

Annotation 2020-02-07 131510.png

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @brennalhughes!

Would you mind just clarifying exactly what extension the file has that you see these options with? 

If you use another web browser, and also try an incognito/private window, do you see the same options from the overview and from the file in it's actual location?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

brennalhughes
Explorer | Level 3

This file was a .docx. It still edits fine in the Microsoft Online method, I just have to access it through the folder it actually lives in rather than the Space that it's pinned to. FYI, it lives in a folder that's within the shared folder where I have it pinned to the Space, only one level down.

I just tried:

• pinning it to the folder where it lives
  • pinning a different file to the original Space
  • pinning different files from another, unshared folder (both within and without of the folder where the .docx files live)
  • Internet Explorer.

In all cases, the previews of the pinned files show only Google Docs, but I see Microsoft Word Online if I preview it in its original location.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for all the detail you've provided so far @brennalhughes!

So we can look into this in some more detail, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here.

If you'd like to, please check your inbox when you have the chance and we can take it from there.

Cheers!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?