cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open link in File Explorer

Open link in File Explorer

mswejh
Explorer | Level 3

When I send a link to a shared file to a person who has access to the file, when I click on it I get this:

mswejh_0-1620247643277.png

but the person does not get the option of  "show in file explorer."  Cannot figure out how to make this happen for her.

7 Replies 7

Re: Open link in File Explorer

Mark
Super User II

Has she got Dropbox installed on her computer with it set to sync that file/directory?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mswejh
Explorer | Level 3

yes

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @mswejh, thanks for posting!

The option to "show in File Explorer" will only appear if the file is saved to someone's Dropbox account and they have the Dropbox application installed, like @Mark said. 

If this person is opening the file directly from the link, without saving it to their Dropbox first, they won't see this option. 

Can you check with them to see if that's the case?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mswejh
Explorer | Level 3

it's saved in shared folder, a folder that is shared w/ them.  they have dropbox installed.  

Walter
Dropboxer
Assuming that they're seeing any syncing icon on the file on their computer, could you have them try another browser then @mswejh?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

mswejh
Explorer | Level 3

sync icon is present and 2 different browsers have been tried including Chrome

Walter
Dropboxer
I see, thanks for clearing this up for me @mswejh.

In that case, could you have them take a look at this Help Center article too? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    mswejh Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?