cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening excel file and name changed

Opening excel file and name changed

Explorer | Level 3

Tried to open an Excel file in Dropbox.  Dropbox changes the name of the file to "orginal.xlsx" and then I get an error message saying encription failed.   What's up?

16 Replies 16

Re: Opening excel file and name changed

Dropboxer

Hello there @mrandall; welcome to our Community!

Can you please let me know what device are you on and send me a screenshot of the exact error you get?

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

I have the same problem. This is what I figured out so far. It's a problem with the Microsoft Excel being used by Dropbox on the iPad because I was able to open the Dropbox file by starting with my Excel on the iPad.

Explorer | Level 3

It is on my iPhone 11   iOS 14.2.  Worked before just fine, maybe the recent update is the issue.

Password protected Excel file.  When the password prompt appears, it states "The document "original.xlsx" " is password protected.  However, the file name is not "original.xlxs", not even close.   If I type in my password, the next screen simply states "Decryption failed.  (null) "

If I open Excel first then it works fine.   Did not have to open Excel before.  

Explorer | Level 3

That's exactly what I described.

File errors

Explorer | Level 3

I have a an Excel file named MyFile.xlsx that is password protected. I
have uploaded it to my DropBox on my Mac.
When I try to open it on my iPhone 11, DropBox seems to call it
"original.xlsx" and will not open it when I enter the correct password.
What would make DropBox give it a different name than what I named it.
Frustrating.
Would appreciate any insight.

Seymour

[email removed as per Community Guidelines]

Explorer | Level 3

Attached is the exact screen shot I get when I try to open yhe file.  The real file name is GuestList.xlsx but when I try to open it in DropBox it reads "original.xslx" and of corse the PW will not work.  The others on this list have had the same problem.

Seymour

GuestList.xlsx.jpg

Explorer | Level 3

Did you try my temporary solution? First open the Excel app on your iPad and then select the encrypted file in Dropbox. It works every time. If you don't have Excel, then there is a free version in the app store.

Super User II

@mrandall wrote:

If I type in my password, the next screen simply states "Decryption failed.  (null) "

Explorer | Level 3

I am trying to do this on my iPhone, so I cannot just open excel first.

I do find that when I get the screen in DropBox on my iPhone asking for a PW for the bogus file "original.xlsx", I simply click on the button that reads "Open".  That brings up and opting to use Excel which when I click gets me to the right file and opens with the PW.

Never had to do this in the past.  It must be a change in the more recent OS.

Seymour

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?