cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening file for editing

Opening file for editing

plillieborg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, a word file is edited and saved on one device, then opened on another device. The opened version is the correct, edited one, but once I hit the "open for edit" button, once displayed in Word, it's an older version of the file, not the one I just viewed. Most annoying! BTW, when I once more open the file on the first device it is the correct file version, both displayed initially and when opened for edit. 

5 Replies 5

Re: Opening file for editing

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi @plillieborg, let's see what we can find here. 

Could you make sure that the version of your Dropbox desktop app and your Microsoft Word are both app to date on the device that's having this issue?

Also, could you check which version of the file comes up when you look at it through the web?

Give me a nudge with any updates, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plillieborg
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, 

Both apps are in current (latest) version for this Samsung device (SM-T720, running Android 10 - SDK29).

Correct file version is displayed through the Web interface, until I hit the edit button, then Word displays an older version. Truly puzzled, wouldn't a syncing issue at least open_for_edit the same file, albeit an older version perhaps not synced on the platform? I'll reboot my device and check if that helps, will be back soon... 

Lusil
Dropboxer
No worries, @plillieborg.

Give it a try and, in the meantime, could you also check if the correct version of the file also comes up when you preview it from another browser?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

plillieborg
Explorer | Level 3

Hello again, 

Rebooting the device did not help, the opened_for_editing version is not the same as the displayed (neither in the app nor via Chrome browser). I did install the Samsung browser and tried with the same result. However their browser also allowed downloading the file and now, when opening with Word, the correct version opened. However this method is not one I will use, way too cumbersome, and one I've never had to use before. I can't tell whether this issue lies with Dropbox or MS Word (I have the latest Office SW), only that this seems to worg just fine on a previous Galaxy Tab device. Still frustrated... 

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @plillieborg, this sounds like there an issue with the Word app still holding a cached version of the file. 

Could you try the steps in this thread in the Word app to see if they help?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?