cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening link in email opens my dropbox environment

Highlighted

Opening link in email opens my dropbox environment

Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I shared a document with my website visitors via a (dropbox) link in an email I send to my visitors. 

In Dropbox I copied the link from the document and in the email I added the link and replaced the "0" at the end of the link by "1", so downloading of the document will start when the user clicks the link, like in the picture. The user may absolutely not see the left part, the Dropbox content, only the document. This is only when they open the link on mobile devices, not on desktop. I guess I have a setting wrong, but I don't know what. Any one has the golden tip for me?

Thank you and kind regards, Sandra Meessen

Download uit dropbox.PNG

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Opening link in email opens my dropbox environment

Dropboxer

Hey there @sfmeessen, I hope you're well today!

Most likely the link is opening the file for you in the mobile app because it's recognising that this is your own file.

To replicate another person opening this link, can you try coping the link and opening it in an incognito/private window in your web browser and let me know what behaviour you see there?

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne, thank you for your reply. We did sent the email with the link from Active Campaign to my friend's yahoo email. When he opened the link in the mail on his IPad, it opened a new tab in the Safari, but the window kept blanc, no text, no image and also no request to open the mobile app. 

So, two things:

1. When opening the link on a mobile device (we only had Apple devices with Safaris browser at hand), it opens a new blanc tab in Safari and nothin happens.

2. When I open the link in the mail om my own (Apple) devices, it looks like my whole Dropbox environment is open. 

I would like to see that the link opens correctly in both IOS and Android and be sure that not my whole Dropbox environment is open for the user.

Thank you and kind regards,

Sandra Meessen

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne or colleague,

As I reported Saterday we tried in the mean time with several friends sending them the link to my Dropbox in an email. We tried on both iOS and Android and both give the same unwanted result, as described in my reply of last Saterday.

How can I fix these issues?

Thank you and kind regards,

Sandra Meessen

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @sfmeessen, what browsers are you using on Android and iOS? Could you forward screenshots of what you're seeing on the devices after clicking the links? Thanks!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay,

Thank you for your reply. In iOS we use the standard browser "Safari" and the Android "friends" used the standard Android browser, I don't know the name of that. Attached you find the screenprint from Safari, on Android it looks the same. What is going wrong with the Dropbox link? Thank you and kind regards, Sandra Meessen

Dropbox link problem on mobileDropbox link problem on mobile

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi Sandra; thanks for keeping us in the loop! 

As this sounds like a browser specific issue, could you try accessing the same link from another browser and let us know the results? 

You could also try clearing the browser's cache as it might help improve matters here. 

While we're at it, please make sure the devices and browsers you're using to preview the shared link are up to date. 

Last but not least, as it's not quite clear yet, is this shared link working properly on desktop computers? 

Keep us posted @sfmeessen

Walter

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Thank you for your reply and extra questions and informations. 

As this sounds like a browser specific issue, could you try accessing the same link from another browser and let us know the results? 

I tried it with my friends mobile devices. Item is that this link is a give away for visitors on my website, so I don't know the people and how many people it will be. It should work on a diversity of browsers and both mobile and desktop, I "can't" influence a crowd I don't know.  

You could also try clearing the browser's cache as it might help improve matters here. 

I did try that for myself and my friend. Doesn't impact the result. And same item as the first question, don't know the requesters and don't know how many.

While we're at it, please make sure the devices and browsers you're using to preview the shared link are up to date. 

Same as previous questions. 

Last but not least, as it's not quite clear yet, is this shared link working properly on desktop computers? 

Yes, it is. 

Yesterday I tested following options:

• attach the PDF document to the mail: it is received and opened correctly at the users mobile device.
  • save the PDF in Google Drive and add that link to the email. When user opens the link on mobile device, it opens correctly.
  • save the PDF in Dropbox and use the link in 2 different ways:
    • with dl=0 at the end: in this case user is asked if he wants to download the document and by clicking "download" it is presented correctly on the mobile device.
    • with dl=1 at the end: in this case the white/blanc tab in the browser is shown on the mobile device and we don't see content or document. On desktop this option works correct. My colleague uses this option and it works on both mobile and desktop. So there must be something I can do to make my situation work. 

Thanks for the help. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

I guess your colleague is using another browser then Sandra. 

Since this is proving to be a browser specific issue, I'd recommend using another browser, such as Chrome for example. Just make sure you're using the most recent version. 

Another possible solution would be to request the desktop site when navigating to the shared link's URL. 

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?