cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opml file types not supported for upload?

Opml file types not supported for upload?

sonicmoon
Explorer | Level 4

I use podcast apps that can export the list of podcasts in my collection to a file, opml file type.  When I try to use the 'share' function and add this backup opml file to Dropbox, I get an upload fail message "upload failed, we don't have permission to read -filename- "

What's happening here and why is this not supported?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Opml file types not supported for upload?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @sonicmoon,

As a workaround, try save the file locally (using your podcast app) and after that upload the same file using (Dropbox app). At the end (once successfully uploaded) you can wipe out the local copy (as seems you are using mobile device; the last isn't valid for desktop/laptop install).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко

Hi @sonicmoon,

As a workaround, try save the file locally (using your podcast app) and after that upload the same file using (Dropbox app). At the end (once successfully uploaded) you can wipe out the local copy (as seems you are using mobile device; the last isn't valid for desktop/laptop install).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

sonicmoon
Explorer | Level 4

thanks... that worked. It's cumbersome and takes more time, but it's definitely a legit workaround. 

Do you know what the technical problem might be that's occurring to generate that error message?

Здравко

@sonicmoon wrote:

Do you know what the technical problem might be that's occurring to generate that error message?

Hi @sonicmoon,

🤔 You make me speculate. Dropbox expect to know file content you want to upload, the file name, and the place where you want this file to reside within Dropbox directory structure. The last (place within Dropbox) you point it explicitly, so this can't be an issue. I'm sure your program correctly provide the content (since it can be saved locally, that can't be an issue). And finally the only option seems to be that for some reason the file name is missing (or I suppose so, at least). 🤷 Can you successfully attach the same file from your program (not the one, saved locally) to an email, for example? 🧐 If yes, what's the filename there? Is it well defined? This may give some direction, what's going on actually.

Good luck with the investigation.

sonicmoon
Explorer | Level 4

thanks for the speculation 🙂

Yes, the filename is present in the error message, the file can be attached to an email using the same program (PodcastAddict), and it appears to be well-defined in the file details both before and after attachment.  I've heard of this issue with other file types people have attempted to upload to Dropbox using the 'share' function in apps/programs, but it's the first time I've experienced it - and I wondered if it might be some security filter that rejects file types other than a specified list.

Thanks again, and have a great week.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sonicmoon Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?