cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original files edited when Dropbox file is edited, possible?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hey! I have no idea so I wonder if somebody knows if it is possible that the original file on your computer is edited whenever the file in Dropbox is edited? Or is is just a copy of the original file..? Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Original files edited when Dropbox file is edited, possible?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey there @3landerblick,

If you have 2 local copies of the file, one in your Dropbox folder and another elsewhere in your computer, then editing either of the files won’t result in the other updating too. As you mentioned, they are just copies and have no link to each other. 

Hope this helps - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Re: Original files edited when Dropbox file is edited, possible?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

yes it's possible to open/edit the same file at the same time,  when u opened a file in dropbox and edited it, and at the same time someone also open and edit the same file, dropbox will create 2 file, one with the original file name and another one with "conflicted copy [date]" added to the file name

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?