cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Our account was upgraded, but Dropbox still tells me I have no space.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi all, I recently created a personal account for me and my employer. I was the owner at her request. However we recently changed her to owner as she wanted to manipualte a lot of folders. As a result we have blasted the 2GB storage. She then went and upgraded but whenever I use dropbox it still tells me that I have no space and need to upgrade.

It's like we are treated as two separate accounts. Any help please to make sure it is all handled as one personal account.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Personal account

Super User II
Super User II

@Shanfo wrote:
Remember, two logins but SHARING the account!

No, if you're each signing into Dropbox with your own email address (and you don't have a Dropbox Business team), you're not sharing the account. You each have your own, separate Dropbox account, and you're sharing a folder between the two accounts. As described in the link I posted above, shared folders count against the storage of all members of the share. The files exist in both of your accounts, so they count against the quota of both accounts.

If she paid for an account upgrade, her account is upgraded, yours is not, and you can't take advantage of her upgrade. You may be sharing a folder with someone that has an upgraded account, but you're still limited to the storage quota of your own account.

And I bet if I close my account the data would be lost for my shared friend. So.....

That depends on how you went about it. If you just closed the account and were the owner of the shared folder, the other members of the share would still have access to it and its content, but they would lose control of the share (unable to add new members or change access rights). The same if you just removed your access to the share. If you remove people from the share first, whether or not the other members kept a copy would depend on the option that allows other members to keep a copy of the files.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Shanfo wrote:

It's like we are treated as two separate accounts.

Because if you're each signing in with your own email address, they are separate accounts. She has upgraded hers, and you haven't. That means you're still limited to the amount of storage that your account has. You do not get to benefit from her upgrade.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
This is still confusing...we share the same folders and files. We don't have anything separate. So your comment tells me that sharing doesn't work. Why pay for two lots of storage for one lot of data? Is Dropbox copying and storing separately? I doubt it so again should only be one charge. Remember, two logins but SHARING the account!
And I bet if I close my account the data would be lost for my shared friend. So.....
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Shanfo wrote:
Remember, two logins but SHARING the account!

No, if you're each signing into Dropbox with your own email address (and you don't have a Dropbox Business team), you're not sharing the account. You each have your own, separate Dropbox account, and you're sharing a folder between the two accounts. As described in the link I posted above, shared folders count against the storage of all members of the share. The files exist in both of your accounts, so they count against the quota of both accounts.

If she paid for an account upgrade, her account is upgraded, yours is not, and you can't take advantage of her upgrade. You may be sharing a folder with someone that has an upgraded account, but you're still limited to the storage quota of your own account.

That depends on how you went about it. If you just closed the account and were the owner of the shared folder, the other members of the share would still have access to it and its content, but they would lose control of the share (unable to add new members or change access rights). The same if you just removed your access to the share. If you remove people from the share first, whether or not the other members kept a copy would depend on the option that allows other members to keep a copy of the files.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?