cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Owner deleted the shared folder

Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

What happens if someone who shared a folder with me

1) deleted the files which were in the folder but which I wanted to keep?
2) deleted the entire folder which I wanted to keep?

3) deleted his Dropbox account 

2 Replies 2
Highlighted

Re: Owner deleted the shared folder

Super User II
Super User II

Files deleted within a shared folder are deleted for all members. You can restore a shared file only if you had Can edit access to it. If you had Can view access to a shared file, you won’t be able to restore it.

When a folder is unshared, the owner of the folder can specify whether members are allowed to keep a copy of the folder. If the owner specified that other members can't keep a copy, the folder would be removed from your account.

Deletion of the owners account doesn't matter, unless he left the shared folder in place and failed to specify a new owner. In that case, you lose control of the folder (ability to share/unshare) but the folder would still remain.

Highlighted

Re: Owner deleted the shared folder

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you. So to be on the safe side I should always download all files and store them either on my Dropbox in a backup folder or hard drive

[This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please create a new topic for your request or feedback.]

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?