cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

PDF Preview functionality - how to disable?

mike m.10
New member | Level 1

I really, really dislike the Dropbox PDF preview functionality. It served my needs much better to have the PDF I click on in Dropbox open directly in Acrobat Reader. Is there a way to switch the PDF preview off? If not, I strongly request that become a future option. PDF preview in dropbox may be great for some users, but for me, it's terrible. Thanks.

56 Replies 56

joshua s.27
New member | Level 1

yes, this is so annoying that i'm looking for an alternative service. otherwise is love love dropbox!

S O.
New member | Level 1

I just want to add my +1 vote for making the preview an exception rather than the default, it's quite annoying, especially since it forces you to the top of the pdf every time the screen sleeps.

Keith S.15
New member | Level 2

And it doesn't even work right. The PDF I just Dropboxed to a client has elements in it that don't show up in the preview, thought they're right there if you download it and view it in Acrobat.

Dropbox: Seriously. Please. THIS DOES NOT WORK. Please get rid of it. Please. You can have my dessert. I'll be your best friend.

Kevin D.3
New member | Level 2

Please make preview an option. I click on an xslx in DB. It fails and says preview not available. I click open with and it opens in documents to go. When I save it saves Ok, but tries to go to preview again and fails. This is awful.

Holly H.7
New member | Level 1

I agree that this should be an opt in "feature". While a preview in and of itself wouldn't be bad, it is magnified at 200-300% so you have to scroll to actually see the whole document. People who may not look to see the "download" option above are confused and it doesn't serve the purpose for us to have them receive the info from the link this way. 

Nigel G.6
New member | Level 1

I agree this is a completely useless feature.  I have apps I use for business and dropbox makes it almost impossible to use.  I may end up dropping Dropbox all together and use strictly my Google or one drive.. Oh btw I am currently using dropbox for 1 TB of data.

Ivars N.
New member | Level 1

It really  slows down my work to have my PDF files open in preview. I want to decide myself how to open my files and do not want BIG BROTHER decide for me. It seems logical that PDF files should be opened by Acrobat where they were generated and not by some other application unless I want to do it. It is very strange that Apple after nearly a year of severe complaints have not introduced an easily available way of turning off the preview default. 

Matt H.52
New member | Level 1

I despise this "function" as well. Please allow us to disable previews. 

William S.14
Not applicable

Totally agree with this.

It is apauling that Dropbox adds all these hurdles to prevent easy access to your files.

Since Feb 2016 dropbox has:

- Horror menu: Starts with history instead of folder view. No way to reverse this.

- Horror viewers: When tapping a file cheap viewers instead of far better apps, some of which you may have paid for.

I am a grown up. Can I please decide for myself how I want to work????

Megan C.13
New member | Level 1

I really wish we had the option to enable or disable the preview. I cannot stand it in certain situations. 

I'm a graphic designer at a sign shop, and often times I will use Dropbox to send proofs to my customers (when the files are too large to attach to an Email).

Often I WANT them to download the file, and not just preview it, so that they have it on their own personal computers.

Two example situations where I find it a problem:

1. I send a PDF with proof and pricing to a customer (expecting them to save it) but instead they just view it, then later down the road, when I'm cleaning out my dropbox, I delete it... then I get a phone call or Email saying:

"I can't find it now - the link doesn't work - I wanted to show my friend the layout"

MY DROPBOX ISN'T A STORAGE FACILITY FOR YOUR LOGOS OR LAYOUTS! I want them to download the file, so I can delete it after. I don't want to have to worry about having to hold on to old estimates and proofs for customers from months and months ago.

2. I send a proof to a customer of some vehicle graphics (pin striping or a vehicle wrap) and I've designed it at full scale, when opened in the Dropbox preview, it opens it at 100% -- therefore, if my art board is the size of a truck cab, it comes in massive on screen. Not a huge problem because you would just zoom out, BUT:

(this is literally a true story) sometimes I deal with customers who are not tech savvy AT ALL (older business men/women) and I had a customer (who I sent some pin striping artwork to) and he could not figure out how to zoom out. When he viewed the PDF, he only saw a tiny portion of the vehicle graphics, and couldn't figure out how to see the whole thing; this would have been avoided if he was just FORCED to download the file in the first place, and not been able to preview it on Dropbox. Then it would have fit to screen on his computer. 

I've learned now to always send my proofs scaled down to 8.5" x 11" so that doesn't happen! but it is just annoying because now I have to take extra steps just in case I get another technologically impaired customer who doesn't understand how to zoom!

PLEASE GIVE US THE OPTION TO DISABLE PREVIEW!!!!!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Matt H.52 New member | Level 1
    Govert V. New member | Level 1
    Navid R. New member | Level 1
    Robert P.42 New member | Level 1
    Andy B.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?