cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

PLEASE HELP - Getting an 403 error message with a high school student project in showcase

Helpful | Level 6

HELP!

I don’t know why I am getting an error message for my showcase.  
It is my high school students final show for the year that they are
sharing with their parents and family members.  It had been working
fine on Friday and Saturday.

I am just getting this error message 403 today please help at your
earliest convenience today please.  I don’t want the kids to be
embarrassed.  It is bad enough that they can't do their show in
person but to know even show is a nightmare for them.  Already
getting some seniors crying this morning.  Any help is appreciated.
This is our link: <<removed for safety>>

Thanks! 
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: PLEASE HELP - Getting an 403 error message with a high school student project in showcase

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Walter, thanks so very much for checking on my issue.  I finally got a response on Monday morning and they DB had banned my students project because it got to much traffic.  I could not even access SHOWCASE from the admin - even that was blocked from me.  I was new to Showcase when I set it up with the help of a DB staff member via chat. I did not see anything about limits on viewing - we had over 600 views and over 650 visits in 2 days so they just banned the link without any notice at all.  They lifted to ban on monday morning.  we have 200 girls on the dance team and this was their virtual spring show and senior tributes so was very important to them.  Since our principal sent out the link to the school community, it was to late to change the link so I took the video out of the showcase and add a link to view the video on vimeo.  I did not trust that the kids project would not be banned again and upset the kids after all of their hard work in doing all of this distance learning for two months.  Normally spring show is their big fundraiser but at least to put it out on virtual for free still gave them a goal and sense of pride.  We have since had an additional 300+ so the girls are ok now.  Thanks for inquiring.  Feel free to check out their projejct if you have time:  https://shwca.se/MacShow  Again thanks so very much for following up, it was greatly appreciated!  I think that DP needs to make some adjustmnents during this crazy covid culture especially for students.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: PLEASE HELP - Getting an 403 error message with a high school student project in showcase

Super User II
Super User II

It looks like its because the link you are sending out is not set to public - its not a fault at Dropbox's end, its the fact that you have security on the link and therefore for people to see it you need to remove that security.

So, before I removed it for your safety, when I click on it I am told I can only see it if you have set me up as being allowed. Thats though because I have a Dropbox account. People without one will get a 403.

Have a look at https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/showcase/share to see how to share it correctly 

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks but no it didn't help me.  The showcase has been up since Friday and was working fine.  today when I logged in to review the stats I got the error message 403 and that is all that anyone is getting now on Mother's Day when a lot of the girls wanted to share it and watch with their families.  This issue is on dropbox's end. 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

the showcase already had over 600 views and 650 visits since I shared the link on Friday so my settings were correct.  I set it up with a Dropbox staff member via chat and he tested everything with me before I shared the link.  I even get the error message myself and cannot access showcase from my admin either.  I am at the highest level on Dropbox so I have 5TB of space and it is not ever close to to 1TB

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Regardless of that @smartgirlceo SOMETHING has changed the security settings on the showcase as I cannot access it. 403 is an error to say you do not have permission to access something. 

The permissions on the showcase need changing to allow people to view and see it.

- - -

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Hi super user Mark! Thanks but I can’t even get to my showcase from my admin. I get the same error message as the kids. I would happily look at setting. We posted on Friday I had the assistance of Dropbox staff to set it up. We’ve had over 650 visits and 600 views. I am the only member and changed nothing 😧 high school girls are really upset. Open to any suggestions. Thanks for your help!
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @smartgirlceo; how are you today?

I'm sorry to jump in here; I was just wondering if you're still having issues with this.

If you do, I'd appreciate a screenshot of the exact error you get so I can have a further look into this. 

Thanks! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Hello Walter, thanks so very much for checking on my issue.  I finally got a response on Monday morning and they DB had banned my students project because it got to much traffic.  I could not even access SHOWCASE from the admin - even that was blocked from me.  I was new to Showcase when I set it up with the help of a DB staff member via chat. I did not see anything about limits on viewing - we had over 600 views and over 650 visits in 2 days so they just banned the link without any notice at all.  They lifted to ban on monday morning.  we have 200 girls on the dance team and this was their virtual spring show and senior tributes so was very important to them.  Since our principal sent out the link to the school community, it was to late to change the link so I took the video out of the showcase and add a link to view the video on vimeo.  I did not trust that the kids project would not be banned again and upset the kids after all of their hard work in doing all of this distance learning for two months.  Normally spring show is their big fundraiser but at least to put it out on virtual for free still gave them a goal and sense of pride.  We have since had an additional 300+ so the girls are ok now.  Thanks for inquiring.  Feel free to check out their projejct if you have time:  https://shwca.se/MacShow  Again thanks so very much for following up, it was greatly appreciated!  I think that DP needs to make some adjustmnents during this crazy covid culture especially for students.  

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
<b>We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now <a href="https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Business-Tips-tricks/Folder-structure-best-practice/m-p/428456#M39"><u>check it out here</u></a>.</b>

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?