Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Paper 2020 + shortcut to create a new document.

Explorer | Level 4

HI

I'm using Paper 2020 which is kind of merged with regular Dropbox.

I love being able to create a new paper document by clicking the "+" symbol at the top of the screen. However it puts the new paper file in the Dropbox home folder rather than the current document's folder. 

Is this normal? It would be great if there was a way to choose the folder for the new document before it was created. The way it's currently working, I need to get back to home and move the new file to the correct folder which is an extra and I think unnecessary step.

Thanks

Elliot

8 Replies 8
Highlighted

Re: Paper + shortcut for new document

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey Elliot @eselick

Thank you so much for your feedback for Paper 2020. I love it too.

You can create the Paper doc directly in the folder you want.  Just click to get in the folder before you choose to create the new Paper. 

If you just select to create the Paper, without selecting a folder, it is expected for it to appear in the root of your Dropbox account. 

As for the existing Paper docs that are not in the right location, you can move them to your folders manually, like any other file. 

If you need guidance, feel free to add screenshots showing what you see. This will help me give you step by step instructions. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fiona

Thanks for that. I am aware of how to move or create docs in Dropbox. My comment was really about not being able to select a target folder when using the "+" button while editing a paper document. I think it would be nice to be able to select a target folder or use the current one instead of having it place in my root folder. 

Sorry if I wasn't making myself clear.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I see! Thanks for clarifying. 

You can always post your ideas in the Paper ideas section of our Community. This way others can upvote them.  

We appreciate your feedback! See you around in the Community. 

Cheers! 

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @eselick - happy Monday!

Following what @Fiona said, I think your inquiry echoes the Idea another user posted some days ago. Here's a direct link for reference if you'd like to check it out and upvote it to show your interest: 

See you around! 

Walter

Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 7

As I mentioned in the referenced thread, this is a bug not a request for a feature. Links to new documents created inline from existing documents should not be broken by default for shared users of the document. They should inherit the permissions from the document they are created in.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @icrosby, I am not sure this comment is related to the thread. 

I understand you are talking about shared links to new files and file permissions. This topic is about the creation of new Paper docs and their location. Could you please elaborate a tad on your comment?

What do you mean when you say "They should inherit the permissions from the document they are created in" ?

How can shared links inherit permissions for Paper docs? What permissions are you referring to? 

Thanks!

Fiona

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

When you create a new document and link from an existing document, the people who have access to the existing document should be able to click the link to get to the new document. I.e., both documents should have the same permissions by default. The simplest way to do this is to create the new document in the same folder as the existing document by default, because that results in the same permissions being applied to both automatically. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thank you for clarifying that @icrosby

I understand your feedback now! 👍

Thank you for posting about this. 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?