cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn about how Kev uses Dropbox to make sure he keeps track of all the new music he listens to? Check out his tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Paper exposes the email addresses of everyone who visits my doc

Paper exposes the email addresses of everyone who visits my doc

nateboyd
Helpful | Level 5

I was absolutely flabbergasted to learn that Paper is showing everyone who visits my doc the email addresses of everyone who previously visited the doc (presumably while signed into their Dropbox account).

I have no idea why this would be a good idea and I cannot see any way to disable this functionality. Please tell me it's possible to stop this, else I may have to stop using Paper.

Note that I've been using Paper from a personal (paid) Dropbox account... not sure from the online docs that it would behave any differently from a business account??

Thanks!

Nate

7 Replies 7

nateboyd
Helpful | Level 5
Note: I am not manually inviting people individually... I'm just sending them the link. The doc is set so that "anyone with the link" can view it.

Speaking of which, why doesn't Paper have a view-only mode???

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi Nate, welcome to the forums!

Regarding your query, if a Paper doc is opened by a user who is currently logged into their Dropbox account, then it would show their email address by default.

This is the same functionality as the shared folders, since any user can see the email address of other members in the folder. 

There isn’t an option to hide the email addresses from the Invite’ button.

About your second question, Paper docs can be shared as read-only, so no one can modify the contents of the doc. However, they are able to share the URL (since it is public) and comment on the doc itself.

If you want to make the doc private so only certain individuals can access it, you can change the link settings from the Invite button. Note however this still won’t hide the email addresses from other users.

Hope this helps to clarify matters!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nateboyd
Helpful | Level 5

Being able to comment is most certainly not the same thing as read-only. That's why these settings are different in Google Docs.

Sharing a doc with a large audience seems like an entirely separate use case from sharing a folder... this is a huge design flaw and privacy violation. I'm just sending people a link to read something... they have zero expectation that by clicking on that link, their email address will be shown to someone else. Nor should they!

I am truly concerned and shocked.

Jay
Dropboxer
We’re sorry to hear that, Nate, we understand your concern over this matter.

You can easily remove all users from your Paper docs, so they won’t be able to see other users’ emails, and block the doc using the permission settings so only invited users can access the file.

A completely read-only doc, without any options for comments or sharing, isn’t available currently, however, I can forward your suggestion to our Paper dev team for their consideration in future to improve this aspect.

I’ll also advise them regarding your concerns for the showing of email addresses on Paper docs.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nateboyd
Helpful | Level 5

Yeah it would appear that Paper is not designed for the use case I have in mind: Broadly sharing a document with people who have no relationship to one another. Which may be the single biggest use case of the Internet lol.

But regardless, exposing people's email addesses without their knowledge is a huge problem/mistake in my opinion for all of Dropbox's product surface area. You guys should seriously rethink that ASAP.

Burning Sun
New member | Level 2

I am also surprised that viewers of a Dropbox Paper document have their email addresses shared. Also, the owner of the Dropbox Paper document cannot hide his/her email address from viewers (if they are logged in).

This does make it impossible to share a Dropbox Paper for a large audience to read, since I would also be sharing my email address with them, (and they with me and maybe each other), and email addresses are personally identifiable information, and magnets for spam, I do not want email addresses to be shared.

An email address is personally identifiable information, and there may be legal implications to sharing email addresses publicly, but I am not a lawyer.

jb37
Helpful | Level 6

Yeah this is a huge problem.  I was creating a document for distribution without realizing that all viewers could see my email address because I created the Paper document.

Need more support?