cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paper - offline access to Folders & Documents

Paper - offline access to Folders & Documents

pcambs
Explorer | Level 4

How to make Paper folders available for offline access on a mobile device (I use the Android app)?

The help (https://www.dropbox.com/help/paper/mobile-access) says:

...Yes, you can work offline using Paper mobile apps. You can read, edit and comment without an internet connection. Changes sync with Paper when you come back online. When you work offline, you see a banner on you doc: No internet connection. ...

The only way I seem to be able to make a document available offline (even if just as read-only) is by "starring" it = make it a favourite.

However, even this does not make (Paper) folders accessible offline: I still get "you are offline, go online the view the contents of this folder". This occurs even if all the documents in the folder are starred, and the folder itself is starred.

Does anyone know how to:

1) make Paper folders available offline?

2)  make documents available offline without having to make them all starred/favourite (which undermines the basic value of the favourite function)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Paper - offline access to Folders & Documents

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @pcambs

I'm sorry to get back to you in delay & thanks for posting here regarding Offline Paper files.  

You're right in your understand, since you can do the following while offline:

- Access, edit, and comment on any doc you've favorited or recently accessed
- Create and edit new docs

This way, any changes you make in the app while offline will automatically sync once you come back online.

Also, please note that moving, archiving, favoriting, following, and managing collaborators on docs are currently not possible while offline. 

Please let me know if you'd like more help & I'll be glad to follow-up! 

Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jane
Dropboxer

Hey @pcambs

I'm sorry to get back to you in delay & thanks for posting here regarding Offline Paper files.  

You're right in your understand, since you can do the following while offline:

- Access, edit, and comment on any doc you've favorited or recently accessed
- Create and edit new docs

This way, any changes you make in the app while offline will automatically sync once you come back online.

Also, please note that moving, archiving, favoriting, following, and managing collaborators on docs are currently not possible while offline. 

Please let me know if you'd like more help & I'll be glad to follow-up! 

Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

pcambs
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for that. It is a pity that the Paper content (folders, docs, whatever) are not stored within the (accessible) Dropbox folders - which can all be made available offline, and you can choose which you want to be available and on which of your connected devices.

As it happens, I was traveling last week and I had bad internet connectivity (via my phone). For a particular Paper folder, I had set the folder as favorite, as well as all the docs in it. I found that when I had bad connection I usually could not access the content in the docs. When I got better connectivity, the docs were accessible.

It seems to me that the "available offline" basically isn't working.
😞

But thanks, again, for your comments

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

pcambs Explorer | Level 4
    Jane Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?