cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent folder not sharing

Parent folder not sharing

elanameth
Explorer | Level 3

We have a parent folder that will not allow us to share across users. Many users seem to have access, but it will not allow more sharing, and it does not indicate that it is shared. The folders and files inside are showing differently depending on who is viewing the folder. We are able to share folders inside that parent folder, but for other users, those "inside" files/folders are showing outside of the parent folder. Any ideas why this would be the case?

3 Replies 3

Re: Parent folder not sharing

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @elanameth, I hope you're doing great this Thursday! 

When you say that the parent folder will not allow for you to share it with other users, do you get an error when trying to? 

If you see a two people icon on the folder, that means it's shared with others. 

As for the subfolders, if the owner chose not to add them to the parent folder then what you see as a subfolder on your end, would be their parent folder. Let me know if you want me to explain more on this. 

Keep me posted on what you find!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

elanameth
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you!

No - it just says "only you can view" and does not even having a sharing option or indicate it's shared. But it is shared, as we can each see the folder, just it does not look shared....does that make sense? I see this, as does another user who has access...same folder, but does not look shared or sharable...

elanameth_0-1619186719771.png

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @elanameth, thank you so much for all the valuable info, since this gave me a good visual of the issue!

Can you let me know your account's plan, by checking here

Also, which path do you follow, in order for you to view this particular folder?

Let me know more, and we can take it from there!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    elanameth Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?