cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protected ms word doc file issue

Password protected ms word doc file issue

Explorer | Level 3

An ms word doc file with password protection can no longer be opened? Did ms word or Dropbox change something?
File is still good and works fine on my pc but can’t open Thru Dropbox on my iPhone anymore

6 Replies 6

Re: Password protected ms word doc file issue

Dropboxer

Hello there @Adhersey, I hope you're having a good Monday so far!

Are you getting an error like this when trying to open the file in the Dropbox app?

If not, can you clarify for me what issue you're having when trying to open the file?

Please send along a screenshot of any errors that you might be getting along the way.

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3
Yes that’s exactly the error message
At first I thought the file had become corrupted but it’s doing it to a few other word docs I use with password protection and the files are good and I can redo them to pdf instead but then lose the extra protection of a password which I need for a few special files.

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that @Adhersey!

Some users have mentioned that the issue persists outside of Dropbox too, so one user noted that the "Office" app works without this error too.

We can look into this in more detail if you'd like, but we will need to continue through our Support channel to do so.

In this case, can I reach out directly to the email linked with your profile here?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes you can reach me at [personal information removed as per the Community's Guidelines]
The password files work fine on my pc (accessing files directly off hard drive)
Problem is only happening when trying to open the ms word doc file with password using Dropbox on my iPhone

Super User II

@Adhersey 

This is an iOS 14.2 issue, unrelated to Dropbox.

Dropboxer

It does seem to be an issue with the OS in general as Rich mentioned, as the error can be replicated in multiple locations outside of Dropbox. 

However, we would like to do some further investigation to see what we can do from our side.

I've just sent you a brief email @Adhersey, when you have the chance please get back to me there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?