cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password protection for files and folders

Password protection for files and folders

brd211
New member | Level 2

Just upgraded to be able to professional to allow me to send a link to whomever with a needed password. Supposed to work for both files and folders.  Can't get it to work!...I'm working on a mac pro laptop with the dropbox program installed and files synced to the cloud.  I've attempted to test the password system by; opening a file or folder, clicking the link settings / folder settings to check off the appropriate boxes for a password (i.e. 1234) and hit save. I used the dropbox system and have also copied and pasted a link  into my mail program to send to one of my kids email address, which is on the same computer.  Both systems send the link to the address.  However, the password is never required!!!....All of my three computer (apple) have dropbox installed.  Could that be the reason why it's not requiring a password?.  Help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Password protection for files and folders

Rich
Super User II

brd211 wrote:

All of my three computer (apple) have dropbox installed.  Could that be the reason why it's not requiring a password?

If they're all logged in with your account, yes. Open the link in a private browser session or a different browser where you're not logged in to Dropbox, and the link will open as if it's someone else opening it.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

brd211 wrote:

All of my three computer (apple) have dropbox installed.  Could that be the reason why it's not requiring a password?

If they're all logged in with your account, yes. Open the link in a private browser session or a different browser where you're not logged in to Dropbox, and the link will open as if it's someone else opening it.

View solution in original post

brd211
New member | Level 2

OK, I'll give that a shot....Thanks!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]
Poll
Which Dropbox integrations are you using while working from home?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?