cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pasting data from Excel into a paper table pastes them into a single cell

Pasting data from Excel into a paper table pastes them into a single cell

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For the past year this has worked flawlessly:

* copy rows from excel spreadsheet

* paste those rows into my premade Paper table (current selected cell becomes point for creating new rows)

Now it no longer works. When I copy the data from excel and paste it into paper, all the data goes into a single cell (the one currently selected). Has something changed? Or is my paper table possibly corrupted?

I do not need formulas or any excel features, just the text data (its a csv file I download daily from my online orders).

EDIT: 
I discovered if I copy directly from the excel spreadsheet it will paste properly into the paper table (un-numbered).

The way I USED to be able to do this is open the excel file from WITHIN dropbox, copy the data (including the numbers that excel adds on the left) and then paste it into the table. I really liked doing it this way because then the pasted lines are numbered.  However that is what no longer works, it will all paste into a single cell without the numbers, not even the commas appear. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ticket #17189877

Thank you.

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @KarenSW, thanks for reaching out to us.

I was able to test this out on my end, but it worked for me, both when pasting from the Excel sheet itself and within Dropbox.

Would you mind trying this out using a different browser or an incognito/private browsing window?

Let me know what you find!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Okay I tried it in another browser, and then in incognito mode. Same result (see screenshot). The first screenshot is pasted directly from excel (no numbers). The 2nd screenshot I copied from opening the same CSV file within dropbox (it used to paste correctly and include the line numbers as well).

directly from excel.png

dropbox incognito screenshot 1.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @KarenSW, sorry to jump in, but I just wanted to mention that I just tried this on my end and it's working normally for me too.

Can you clarify how exactly are you copy-pasting this part of your csv file into your table in your Paper doc?

As a test, could you try with another file and/or another Paper doc to see if you get any different results?   

Keep us posted!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I copy the lines from my excel program and paste it directly into the paper table it works just fine (other than leaving out the line numbers).

However when open the CSV from within dropbox and highlight and copy the lines (see pic), then paste it into the dropbox table - it pastes them all into one cell, unformatted. I have been doing this for over a year with no issues. I am not sure if its because shipstation has made changes (that is where I download my CSV from). But isn't a CSV a CSV .. ?

dropbox screenshot 1.png

dropbox screenshot 1.png

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If I can not manage to get this to work as it used to, is there a quick and easy way to populate the number field with successive numbers? Then I can simply paste the data from excel and populate the first field with numbers afterwards.

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

And to answer your other questions .. I have tried making a new paper doc, a new excel file, a new browser, an incognito browser ... all to no avail.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @KarenSW, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance.

Once you get a ticket ID from the automated response, please let me know the number here so I can locate it in our system.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

KarenSW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ticket #17189877

Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the ticket ID, Karen. I've found it on our system and passed on your comments there. A member of our support team should be getting back to you soon  through your ticket so keep an eye on your email's inbox.

In the meantime, can you let us know how are you pasting those entries into your Paper doc? For example, are you using shortcuts or the right click options? 

If you're using ctrl+V to paste, can you try ctrl+shift+V instead and  vice versa? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    KarenSW Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?