cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause sync when on mobile hotspot

Pause sync when on mobile hotspot

BSP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is there a way to automatically set dropbox to pause sync when i am connected to my mobile hotspot, and then recommence syncing when connected to anyother web connection?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Many others have requested that Dropbox add such a feature in the past, yet they've never added it. You can search the Share feedback forum for those posts and add your own comments to them.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, there isn't. You have to pause it manually.

BSP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Rich

I thought as much.   

Would this be of use to you if it were a feature?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Many others have requested that Dropbox add such a feature in the past, yet they've never added it. You can search the Share feedback forum for those posts and add your own comments to them.

BSP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Thanks

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BSP welcome to the Community! :upside_down:

To follow up on this question, as @Rich mentioned, currently, directly through Dropbox, there's no preference where you can specify which network connection/ mobile hotspot the desktop app will run and sync changes with (or pause, for that matter). 

This is really great feedback that I'd be happy to log an official request on, in order to pass over to our team! 

All I can advise, is manually closing the Dropbox app so that it's not actively running and searching for changes to sync while you're connected through your mobile hotspot. 

Then, once you're back on regular WiFi, you can manually re-launch the app. 

Thanks for checking in with us about the ability to to do something like this! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Tom H.
Super User
Go to solution

@BSP

There is a non native way to do this, look at the app TripMode https://www.tripmode.ch

Its $7.99 and comes in Mac and Windows flavors. A free trial is available too. I have no experience with the developer. 

----

Paw.png If this has helped you, please Kudo this post.
Paws.png If it has solved your issue please ✓  Accept as Solution.

BSP
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Karina

I would be very pleased if you would log this with your team, and even more so if they conclude that it is possible to implement.

Karina
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You got it! :grin:

Will forward this over to our team that works on desktop app development for further evaluation and future consideration. 

Thank you and have a wonderful day! 

Karina
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

gmkayaker
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is an essential feature for anyone who uses their phone as a mobile hotspot. OneDrive pauses automatically when a Wifi network is set to be a "Metered Connection".  DropBox needs to do the same. Pausing manually is a non-starter as one is bound to forget to unpause when connecting to a non-metered Wifi network and therefore lose the opportunity to update the files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bluebike New member | Level 2
    palbion New member | Level 2
    Mff Helpful | Level 5
    gmkayaker New member | Level 2
    Karina Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?