cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People can't see my comments on shared files

People can't see my comments on shared files

MikeP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm trying to share PDF files with non members of my dropbox but they cannot see my comments - anyone know why this is?

Thanks,

Mike.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Mike, just want to check something, did you create these comments in the PDF file itself before uploading it to Dropbox (i.e. in your PDF creator), or did you upload the PDF and then use Dropbox to add comments on the file?

If they’re previewing it on the site, only the latter will appear.

If they’re downloading the file, only the former will appear, since they’re a part of the document itself.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Are the comments embedded in the PDF file? If so, they'll need to download the file and open it in a PDF viewer. The Preview page on the Dropbox website won't show embedded comments. It's just a preview of the original file.

MikeP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks Rich, I'm no IT expert! But I've uploaded a PDF file attached comments which show as a list on the right side of the page and yellow boxes that I created on the plans. When I share with others neither the comments nor the boxes show - is this due to the access level they have?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Mike, just want to check something, did you create these comments in the PDF file itself before uploading it to Dropbox (i.e. in your PDF creator), or did you upload the PDF and then use Dropbox to add comments on the file?

If they’re previewing it on the site, only the latter will appear.

If they’re downloading the file, only the former will appear, since they’re a part of the document itself.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

MikeP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks Jay - I uploaded the PDF file and then added comments using Dropbox. It's quite frustrating the way Dropbox is set up or is that my lack of IT skills and experience on Dropbox?

m44444444rk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

this is also happening to me and team

we used to see the comments as highlighted yellow boxes and page numbers as links. now comments shown on the rhs but no context and no way getting to a specific comment

impossible to use

i predict that this very going to be is the reason to replace DB

Alihan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue here. Comments are not being displayed on shared files. As the person commenting I can see my comments but others cannot. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Alihan, thanks for posting on the community!

Could you let me know more about this? As per my older post above, are the comments located in the PDF itself, or are these the comments added on the Dropbox site to the online document?

Are the comments visible when downloading the PDF to the computer?

Keep me posted so I can assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Spokes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I used the comments feature on a shared file within DB. The file was a PDF initially uploaded by the owner of the file (not me). I used the tool to select an area of the PDF, added comments related to this selection, and posted the comment. everytime I return to the document (still within DB) I can double-click on a comment and the highlighted (yellow) area also appears. However, the other users with shared access to this same file only see my text comments and the highlights do not appear for them. This also prevents them from seeing the context of my comments specific to an area on the shared PDF. The expected result on my end was that the others with shared access to this file could see the comments AND the highligted areas. Instead, the functionality either failed to work or DB fails to understand that the feature still has unresolved issues.

kellyburns
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

My comments on a shared file are not appearing for the other person on the file. is that possible to fix?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kellyburns New member | Level 2
    Spokes New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Alihan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?