cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Performance issues in a large document.

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I've been using Dropbox Paper to take notes while working through a textbook.  Currently, my document is at 31 pages and 6,681 words.  At this point, working in my document is extremely sluggish.  There is almost 1sec of lag time between pressing a key and having that keypress registered.

As a stop-gap measure I've broken up my notes and created a new document for each chapter.  This helps, but it's much more convenient to quickly jump between chapters in one document rather than having to back out of the current doc and track down a chapter in a folder.

Is this a known-issue?  Are there any plans in the works to address performance issues?

I'm using Chrome Version 65.0.3325.162 (Official Build) (64-bit) on an early 2015 Macbook Pro (El Capitan, 2.7GHz Core i5 w/ 8GB RAM).

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Performance issues in a large document.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @flexxoh, thanks for posting your question in the forum & welcome!

Currently that’s the workaround I would recommend as well, though I’m more than happy to pass on your feedback to our team!

Keep me up to date on the matter here & let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks in advance & I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @flexxoh, thanks for posting your question in the forum & welcome!

Currently that’s the workaround I would recommend as well, though I’m more than happy to pass on your feedback to our team!

Keep me up to date on the matter here & let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks in advance & I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead! 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I am having the same issue. My document is 12k words. The workflow I like to use is having one single document where everyone can collaborate on, especially customers, so it makes maintaing just a single URL much easier.

However, now, typing has become extremely slow - I will type a sentence fragment, and need to wait what seems like 30 seconds for it to show up.

I will see which parts of the document can be moved off into a separate "archive" document, but the ability to navigate to any section within the current page is quite handy.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @Fahim, thanks for commenting on this. I’m making your feedback available to our Paper team for review. Cheers! 

Sanchez

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Images may contribute to the performance hit.

The document I describe earlier, let's say Document A - I trimmed down the document to 9k words, and response is 30 seconds; I have many pasted images, so maybe that is a factor in the performance.

I have another document let's call it Document B - it has 8k words and it performs much better; and it has minimal to no images.
Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

why are you so cheerful about this, this is a major problem. where is the update that fixes this problem that will turn me away as a costumer

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I also have performance issues when taking notes with lots of images 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is still a major issue. It is also very difficult to print out large documents.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Need more support?