cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permalinks dead?

Permalinks dead?

Explorer | Level 4

I seem to be the only one having this problem and it never used to be an issue.

I get a link from an image file I want to share and punt it to the client.  Maybe I need to to change a colour or mess with the image a little more after the client has seen it, they want adjustments, not a problem.  I make the adjustments tell them to refresh the link I've sent them... Then the client says they cant access the file.

The link is dead. Does not exist and sure enough when I go into my dropbox, dropbox has killed that link and I now have to ask for a new link.  This never used to be the case that saving over the top of the original file would change the link. What's changed, how do I make the links permenant.  Same file name, same image, but saving over the top just wipes the link out. 

Any help please as this is driving me nuts?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Permalinks dead?

Dropboxer

In that case, could you try doing this via a web browser instead of trying to overwrite the file locally and let me know if you get any different results @Sqynx?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Dropboxer

Hello there @Sqynx; welcome to the Community!

Truth is we had some similar reports in the past about this. Could you clarify how are you trying to overwrite the original file(s) you shared through those links?

For example, are you using the website to do this or are you copying or moving the new versions of those files in your Dropbox folder on your computer while our app is syncing?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

All I'm doing is opening the file on my computer making the cosmetic changes to the image and then just hitting the save button. (Im not moving directories or locations of files.  Its the same file in the same directory.)  I then can see that Dropbox syncs and completes fine (ive never had an issue with sync it's always been really easy to use and the service has always been great.)  If I look at that file in my own view the cosmetic changes have happened so its the newer version of the file (I havent changed anything to the file name, all ive done is saved over the top) 

This is the way i've always worked and ive been using dropbox for years with no issue, but it seems to have been just the last couple of months that when I do this, the original link that I've sent to the client no longer works if I save over the top of the image with a newer version of the image, its like it wipes the link completely that link now says the link is deleted if the client clicks it (even tho I havent revoked access to the file or deleted it) and so I have to ask it to generate a new link. Obviously this gets tedious quick if the client wants me to make multiple changes to the same file over time.

Dropboxer

In that case, could you try doing this via a web browser instead of trying to overwrite the file locally and let me know if you get any different results @Sqynx?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Using the web browser, that seems to work.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?