cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Permanently Deleted Files

Permanently Deleted Files

je941607
Explorer | Level 3

I accidentally permanently deleted a very important folder. Is there any way whatsoever to recover the files?

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II

@je941607 wrote:

I accidentally permanently deleted a very important folder. Is there any way whatsoever to recover the files?

Unfortunately, no. Permanently deleted files are deleted... permanently.

je941607
Explorer | Level 3
What about Dropbox Rewind? Could that be utilized? Is there a main server backup for Dropbox or something? If there is any way at all to recover the files, I’d like to know. Any way whatsoever.

Rich
Super User II

@je941607 wrote:
If there is any way at all to recover the files, I’d like to know. Any way whatsoever.

No, it's simply not possible. The files are already gone.

je941607
Explorer | Level 3
Are there any third-party groups that could help recover the files?

Mark
Super User II

Not via Dropbox no.

The only way to recover would be if they were only RECENTLY deleted from your local harddrive and you did some recovery services. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

je941607
Explorer | Level 3
Are there any other creative solutions for recovery? Is there a way to contact Dropbox Support by phone?

je941607
Explorer | Level 3
Can the Dropbox server not go back to a few days ago, somehow, and recover the folder? I would think Dropbox would have to use some sort of backup system.

Mark
Super User II

No, Dropbox categorically state that permanently deleted files are exactly that - can you imagine the lawsuits if it emerged that files somebody has asked to be removed permanently were not. 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/data-retention-policy

"When you mark files for permanent deletion, you can initiate the purging of your files from our servers immediately."

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

je941607
Explorer | Level 3
So, there’s literally nothing that I can do in order to recover the folder? There’s no hack or any way that an admin can retrieve it?
Need more support?