cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently deleted files

Permanently deleted files

Explorer | Level 3
Hello, so I was clearing out my Dropbox and deleted loads of images. I then went into the deleted folder and deleted them there as I assumed they would take up space.

I've only noticed now that I deleted some pictures I wanted to keep and cannot find a way to reclaim them. Is it possible to retrieve permanently deleted files? This only happened a couple of days ago.

This was all done via web browser so I never had the images downloaded on my desktop.

Thank you
3 Replies 3

Re: Permanently deleted files

Dropboxer

Hi there @Fredinbed; welcome aboard!  

If you permanently deleted those files, I'm afraid you won't be able to recover them via Dropbox.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

New member | Level 2

Just like on the iPhone it's not possible to recover photos or videos from the "Recently deleted" folder. The folder is exactly for those moments there if you're not too certain whether to keep or delete the photo. Happened to me as well and I was frustrated that the pictures were gone forever. 

Collaborator | Level 8

@Fredinbed wrote:
Hello, so I was clearing out my Dropbox and deleted loads of images. I then went into the deleted folder and deleted them there as I assumed they would take up space.

I've only noticed now that I deleted some pictures I wanted to keep and cannot find a way to reclaim them. Is it possible to retrieve permanently deleted files? This only happened a couple of days ago.

This was all done via web browser so I never had the images downloaded on my desktop.

Thank you

If a File/Folder has been permanently deleted, or if the file/Folder has been in the Recycle Bin for 120 days in dropbox it cannot be recovered using native options.

When deleting a file or folder, a user has two options. They can either delete from dropbox.com by clicking on an ellipsis next to a file or folder and then choosing Delete. Or, on a desktop or laptop, they can drag and drop an unnecessary folder into the Recycle Bin or Trash. Once deleted if the user navigates to Dropbox Business, and selects the permanently delete checkboxes, file recovery is not possible by native Dropbox options. They are truly gone forever!

I here can suggest you an alternative solution on which I am not sure until you have ever store the files on your local machine. If you stored the files on your pc so it may possible to recover data using some free data recovery utility. You can try your luck by using Recuva or Stellar Data Recovery Free Edition to recover lost folder

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?