cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanently deleting files accidentally moved to shared folder??? Help!

Permanently deleting files accidentally moved to shared folder??? Help!

Rewey
New member | Level 2

Hi...hoping I can get some urgent help here from the Dropbox community!

From Windows Explorer I accidentally dragged a folder containing all of my personal tax info (several years' worth) into a shared folder. The folder was set up by a consultant who did some work for me at a company I used to work for, so he could transmit his work to me.

I moved the tax folder back immediately, but the browser version of Dropbox still shows the tax folder in the shared folder when clicking 'show deleted files', which also gives an option to restore them.

In quickly skimming through the FAQ, it seems that there is no way I can permanently delete this info from the shared folder, or make it unable to be restored? Is that correct??? Help!?!

Regards,

Rewey

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Permanently deleting files accidentally moved to shared folder??? Help!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Rewey, sorry for the tardy reply. 

In general, you can find more info on what happens when you delete files in this article, and more on permanently deleting them here

Nonetheless, I was able to locate your communication with a member of my team and can see that you were able to resolve this matter. Should you have any further queries on this, please don’t hesitate to contact them directly as they’ll be able to investigate accordingly with our internal tools for you. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rewey
New member | Level 2

Also... I'm assuming the consultant will receive an email notification or similar to say that he's received a folder to share, but it won't show up in his Windows Explorer folder? I assume he would have to use the browser version, and 'unhide' the folder before he restores it? Or would his version remain and not need to be restored?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Rewey, sorry for the tardy reply. 

In general, you can find more info on what happens when you delete files in this article, and more on permanently deleting them here

Nonetheless, I was able to locate your communication with a member of my team and can see that you were able to resolve this matter. Should you have any further queries on this, please don’t hesitate to contact them directly as they’ll be able to investigate accordingly with our internal tools for you. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful day ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?