cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Perpetually Syncing/Downloading & Strange Effects with File Explorer

Explorer | Level 3

So I noticed lately, Dropbox was having the very strangest behavior I had seen, despite the many years I had used this essential program without any real trouble. I'm currently using 86.3.141 on Windows 7 Professional, just to clarirfy.

1. First of all, I was seeing Dropbox was syncing roughly 30,000 files from checking the status from the badge. However, the status also says it's downloading the same number of files. Either way, I don't see anything different about the folder itself, nothing new appears to be added nor anything is removed. This perpetual status never seems to go away, even if I do leave the PC on for say... 16 hours overnight. Even if somehow appears to be up to date, it still syncs for a long time after booting up Dropbox from say, turning the PC back on. 

2. Additionally, it's seemingly affecting File Explorer with making some folders work slowly, or actually making the whole file browsing application irresponsive. Somehow making my desktop's icons have no icons, and browsing folders outside of Dropbox cumbersome. 

Another annoying that seems to be happening lately (and possibly related) is when I try to save files on Dropbox, there's a slight chance I might denied to save it because it's said to be opened by another program.

I'm certain it's Dropbox causing it, as I had actually closed the application and all of those strange effects had disappeared. I even tried to uninstall/install the program multiple times, using the latest stable builds and also the beta build, but somehow it's still causing all of this grief.

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Re: Perpetually Syncing/Downloading & Strange Effects with File Explorer

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been experiencing the same problems for over a month. Dropbox is making my laptop unusable so I have had to disable it. I have version 85.4.155 installed on Windows 7 Ultimate. Please help.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Donut, thanks for the in-depth description. 

As a first step, I’d recommend unlinking & relinking your account on your pc once, since it recreates the local database. Can you clarify if you’ve already tried that before? 

Following, the steps below should be helpful regarding the syncing issue. Please note that it is very important to follow these steps specifically as failure to do so may result in other issues:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is running & click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray. → Then click next to your profile picture in the Notifications panel. 
  2. Select 'Preferences' & then navigate on the 'Account' tab.
  3. Hold down the 'Space' key. 
  4. Click on the 'Fix Permissions' button (make sure you're still holding down the 'Space' key. 
  5. You may be prompted for your a username and password, this is your computer login credentials, not your Dropbox account ones. 
Last but not least, in order to make sure we’re on the same page, can you include a screenshot (omitting personal info) showing me the disappearing icons on your desktop?

[Edit: While you can give my suggestions a go @BJVine, could you also let me know a bit more detail on the issue at hand & how that's similar to the OP's description to ensure I'm advising you correctly?]

Please keep me updated on your findings when you have a minute. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jane. I have unlinked/relinked my laptop to my dropbox account. It is now syncing but it is not displaying the "Downloading 123,000 files" message that it has been for the past few weeks. I have navigated to the Account tab in Preferences but there is no Fix Permissions button.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply.

Wouldn't uninstalling and installing Dropbox count as an unlink? But either way, I tried that as you said, unlinking my account from the PC and reinstalling Dropbox once again. So this was a bit of a wait to see if there is any positive results. From the reinstall so far, Dropbox somehow closed itself while syncing after the install, but rerunning the program results it in running again. Strange.

I tried holding down the Alt key under Preferences/Account as you had said, but unfortunately, despite holding it for a few seconds. There appears to be no effect at all as I do not see the "Fix Permissions" button. Are you sure this is workable on Windows? Alt/Option is a Mac OS X term. I should note, I'm using an Administrator account, if that makes a difference. Either way, your instructions seem to be a little unclear.

So far the behavior is mostly the same, although hadn't seen the icons get affected thankfully. So currently no need to show that for now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for looping back to me @BJVine & @Donut!

I have navigated to the Account tab in Preferences but there is no Fix Permissions button.

It’s great that syncing seems to be progressing after the relink @BJVine. Following-up on your last question, let me quickly clarify that the Fix Permissions & Fix Hardlinks buttons should appear as you’re holding down the “Space” key, apologies for the misquote on that. 

@Donut wrote:

Wouldn't uninstalling and installing Dropbox count as an unlink?

You should be able to uninstall the app through the Control Panel @Donut, however it’s great that you unlinked before. I’ve also slightly modified my post above, as the menus should switch once you hit the “Space” button; thanks for the walkthrough. 

Please keep me posted on the outcome & I'll do my best to touch-base with you soon! 

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Holding Space doesn't appear to make a difference on the Account tab. Are you sure there isn't any other specifcations to make Fix Permissions appear or is it a mistake?

Anyways I'm not sure why you are giving me instructions on how to uninstall Dropbox when I had already had said I had done it to reinstall the application.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for taking the time to try my suggestions @Donut

@Donut wrote:

Anyways I'm not sure why you are giving me instructions on how to uninstall Dropbox when I had already had said I had done it to reinstall the application.

Apologies for any misunderstanding, I referenced the resource with the uninstall steps, as you could get going with that without unlinking first through your Control Panel. 

As you mentioned that the menus wouldn’t switch in your view to allow you to Fix permissions however, would it be okay with if we continued this discussion via email?

Please let me know if/when you have some spare time to work on that with me. Thanks again!

Jane

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?