cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent syncing and connection errors with Avast

Persistent syncing and connection errors with Avast

utpmg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

For a few weeks now I've been having frequent 'establish secure connection' errors and usually can't sync files . finally determined it will successfully sync when i turn off Avast web and file shields. Is this a problem with Avast or with Dropbox?
Mac OSX 10.11.6 Avast 12.8

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@utpmg wrote:

That link was to a slightly different product. I'm using Avast Security for Mac (free) and the only relevant setting I can see is adding dropbox.com both public and secure domains to the whitelist.

Hello, @utpmg...

Unfortunately, I don't know what specific Avast version you're using other than 12.8 unless you would have entered it in one your previous posts.  I'm merely trying to help you by offering suggestions with what information you provided.

Did you enter dropbox.com and dropbox.exe into Avast's whitelist area?  If not... try it and see if it helps.  If you did and it didn''t help with your situation, then you should contact Avast's support center to see if they can help you (since it appears as though it's their product that's causing the problem).

You stated in your original post that you, "finally determined it will successfully sync when i turn off Avast web and file shields."... knowing that fact means you should see if their support team has any suggestions for you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

Hello, @utpmg...

Have you read this Help Center article?  If not... see if anything listed there can help.

Otherwise, in most cases, the problem lies with your anti-virus software preventing connections it deems as a possible threat.  If you've temporarily shut-off Avast and your files sync as you stated... then that's your proof it's probably Avast.  In the meantime, you could see if you can exclude dropbox.exe within your Avast program (view Avast's instructions).

I should point out that I don't use Avast or a MAC OS but above should steer you in the right direction, hopefully.

utpmg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, I did see that but the firewall section of that article doesn't seem to refer to the default firewall on my OS (10.11.6) which doesn't allow me to do anything more specific than allow the dropbox app incoming access.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@utpmg wrote:

Thanks, I did see that but the firewall section of that article doesn't seem to refer to the default firewall on my OS (10.11.6) which doesn't allow me to do anything more specific than allow the dropbox app incoming access.

Hello, @utpmg...

Okay... you're welcome.

DId you try the second suggestion that I made yesterday about your antivirus software Avast (read 2nd paragraph)?  Since you mentioned it in your OP that Dropbox worked when you shut-off Avast, then you should read the Avast instructions I included yesterday.

utpmg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That link was to a slightly different product. I'm using Avast Security for Mac (free) and the only relevant setting I can see is adding dropbox.com both public and secure domains to the whitelist.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@utpmg wrote:

Hello, @utpmg...

Unfortunately, I don't know what specific Avast version you're using other than 12.8 unless you would have entered it in one your previous posts.  I'm merely trying to help you by offering suggestions with what information you provided.

Did you enter dropbox.com and dropbox.exe into Avast's whitelist area?  If not... try it and see if it helps.  If you did and it didn''t help with your situation, then you should contact Avast's support center to see if they can help you (since it appears as though it's their product that's causing the problem).

You stated in your original post that you, "finally determined it will successfully sync when i turn off Avast web and file shields."... knowing that fact means you should see if their support team has any suggestions for you.

SLJ1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hmmm I am now having dropbox problems.... And I use avast.... perhaps it's time to change anti virus programme...
Thanks
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SLJ1 Helpful | Level 6
    310EI Super User
    utpmg Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?