cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Phone app states exaggerated data usage.

Phone app states exaggerated data usage.

Adnan Abbas
Explorer | Level 4

Can you decrease the amount of space my Dropbox app uses on my phone application? I have less than 600 MB on Dropbox but the app uses 35.55 GB of "data" on my phone's Dropbox app, taking up a large volume of space for no reason. All that's on there is files for school and some memes. I don't know why it's taking up over 59 times the amount of storage that's actually being used. My plan doesn't even enable me to store 35.55 GB of data.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, could you completely uninstall the app from your phone and install it anew @Adnan Abbas?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Lori
Dropboxer
Hi @Adnan Abbas, thanks for posting today!

Can you clarify if you're running out of device space? If so, removing files you've made available offline will free up space on your phone.

However, if you're running out of Dropbox space, you can remove unwanted content from your account.

I hope this helps!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Adnan Abbas
Explorer | Level 4

I have over 1 GB of space left. None of my files are online, I only have around 600 MB of online content in my Dropbox.

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Adnan Abbas, sorry to jump in, but have you tried clearing the app's cache at all? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Adnan Abbas
Explorer | Level 4

Yes. Clearing the cache does nothing to lower the size. It only clears about 70 MB.

Walter
Dropboxer
In that case, could you completely uninstall the app from your phone and install it anew @Adnan Abbas?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Adnan Abbas
Explorer | Level 4

Deleting & re-installing the app seems to have worked. Now it's only 164 MB on my phone so it cleared around 34 GB from my phone. I'll update it if anything drastically changes. I guess it needed a full reset. Still seems like a serious issue to have data as drastically misread as it was for me.

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for keeping me in the loop @Adnan Abbas - I'm glad to hear this helped!

While we're at it, you may also want to have a look at this post for more information about the mobile app and its features. 

Feel free to let us know if you notice the same issue in the future. 

Until then, take care!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?