cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo & Video file names from iPhone Uploads

Photo & Video file names from iPhone Uploads

FXV
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm new to the community so please bear with me. I have been uploading my photos and videos from my iPhone using "Camera Uploads" because the file names are perfect for my use, namely it shows the date in reverse and the time. e.g. 2020-04-01 10.23.06.mov

However, when I select videos or photos to upload i.e. manually the naming regime changes to "Photo 12-12-14, 8 12 00 pm.jpg" which is not what I want!

Is there any way I can control the naming regime?

I hope I have explained my issue sufficiently.

Cheers,

FX

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no settings that control the file name formats, but you can manually rename files as you're uploading them. There's an option to do so after you select the photo or video that you wish to upload.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

There are no settings that control the file name formats, but you can manually rename files as you're uploading them. There's an option to do so after you select the photo or video that you wish to upload.

FXV
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Rich wrote:

Thanks Rich,

I was hoping for something that will prevent me from doing it manually; however, your advice is far better than what I was doing!

Thanks again.

Clemens S.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I have the same problem and it has been there from the start. Similar problems exists with other apps. My opinion is that it is unacceptable that they rename my personal files, but although many has complained about it, they have decided not to do anything about it.

I have solved it like this:

I set the phones photo file structure the way I like it.

I created a folder in drop box called "properly named photos".

Then I regularly hook up my phone to my pc and download all pictures and video and put into that "properly named photos" folder. 

The folder is visible in the Drop box on my phone (with the right names).

(extra)

I also keep the camera roll synced as a backup -in case I drop my phone since my last manual backup.  But, I delete them from time to time, to save space in the box.

Sure this takes some work, but it is better than to have the files being name changed by drop box.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the input, @Clemens S., and welcome to the Community!

The original user’s question was the opposite of your issue. They were happy about the automatic renaming of files, but wished it could be applied to files manually uploaded via the mobile app.

The automatic camera uploads always uploads files in the same name format, which can’t be changed. However, manual uploads keep the original file name, so if you wish you could manually upload images via the mobile app instead of having to connect it each time to your machine.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Clemens S. New member | Level 2
    FXV Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?