cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo backup versus camera upload

Photo backup versus camera upload

Mike Martin
Explorer | Level 4

I'm using Dropbox Plus and have turned on photo backup option. I also have camera backup switched on too. Is this an unnecessary duplication?

6 Replies 6

Managing photo backup

Mike Martin
Explorer | Level 4
I have creasted a number of hierarchical folders in Dropbox to store photos. I now find that all the photos I have in these folders also seem to appear in the photo backup folder. If I delete photos from the photo backup on my dropbox mobile app, are they then also deleted from the folder elsewhere on dropbox?

Re: Photo backup versus camera upload

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Mike Martin, thanks for checking in with us. 

It sounds like you're using our camera uploads feature, which automatically adds your photos from your Camera Roll to your Dropbox account. 

You also mention though that you've turned on another photo backup. Could you clarify which feature you're referring to? 

Which folders are the two separate series of photos being added?

Let me know and we'll take it from there, cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mike Martin
Explorer | Level 4
I have the standard PHOTOS folder in the home screen on the app. I guess this was created when I first installed dropbox some time ago. I have uploaded many hundreds of photos from my desktop and organised them into a large hierarchy of folders under my own PHOTOS folder under ALL FOLDERS. In addition, I have implemented the CAMERA UPLOAD feature and I move photos from this folder into the appropriate folder in my photos folder. That is all ok and works well.
I have searched the standard PHOTOS folder and discovered that every photo I have ever uploaded to Dropbox is represented there. Some dating back many years! I didn't realise that this folder held my entire photo collection.
Since my photos are now in two locations, I decided that I should delete all the photos in the standard PHOTOS folder, but suddenly realised that if I do, they will be deleted from everywhere on dropbox!

What can I do? I don't want to have to move all photos in the standard PHOTOS folder into my large number of existing folders and replace the existing photos in each folder as it will take hours!
Help!
Mike Martin

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @Mike Martin!

Just to clarify, when you mentioned the standard "PHOTOS" folder, are you referring to the the tab along the bottom of the mobile app labelled "Photos"?

Or do you have a folder within the "Files" tab labelled as "PHOTOS"?

The reason I'm asking is that the Photos tab along the bottom of the app window (alongside Home, Files, Account etc) is just a tab which shows all photos within your account.

This tab doesn't contain a duplicate of the photos within your account, but rather just displays there all photos that are located in different places within your account.

If this doesn't sound like what you're referring to, please send along a screenshot as the visual would be very helpful. Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

box515
New member | Level 2

I am confused by the "Camera Uploads" vs. "Photo Backup" features. On my phone, I no longer see an option for "Camera Uploads" on  but I do now see something called "Photo backup."  Are they the same thing?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @box515, if you're seeing this in the Dropbox mobile app, then this is the camera upload feature. What device are you using?

A screenshot of this would help greatly!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    box515 New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropboxer
    Mike Martin Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?