cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo/video import looks like it's going to work, but it doesn't

Photo/video import looks like it's going to work, but it doesn't

Explorer | Level 3

For a few months, I couldn't get Dropbox to recognize photos and videos from my phone at all.  With great effort, I seem to have resolve that issue, but now I have another.  When I plug in my phone, I get the standard pop up about the Camera Upload (hooray!), but when I click 'Start Import,' nothing happens.  No error message appears, but also no import.  My Camera Uploads folder (and in fact my entire Dropbox acct) says it was last modified in April, so nothing is importing.  What is happening here?  I've already done the HEIC fix with my phone -- I retooled my settings and removed all photos & videos -- so that shouldn't be it.  This is becoming a real pain.  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Photo/video import looks like it's going to work, but it doesn't

Dropboxer

Hi @wisconsinkim, are you running a Mac device with Catalina installed?

If so, have you given the Dropbox app permission to access the phone using these steps at the beginning of this article?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Dropboxer

Hi @wisconsinkim, I hope you're having a good start to your week so far!

Just so I can have a better idea of your current set up, can you let me know the following?

• What version of the desktop app do you have installed?
  • What does the sync status show once you click "Start import"? 
  • How much space do you have free in Dropbox?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne,

Thanks for your reply and the really helpful links so I can answer your questions:

Version:  106.4.368

Sync status:  Frustratingly, it continuously says it’s all up to date, even though the last item modified took place 4/01/2020 so it's clearly not importing anything.  

Space:  When it stopped syncing consistently (and I didn't have time to address it), I moved almost everything out of Dropbox,  so I'm using only 2MB of my 2GB space.  And at this point, I only have a few test photos on my phone to import, so it's definitely not a space issue.

I look forward to your insight!  

Kim

Dropboxer

Hey @wisconsinkim, thanks for the additional information. 

I just wanted to jump in and ask if you've tried toggling the option to import photos using your desktop app's camera uploads? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Lusil  and @Daphne,

Yes, I've tried toggling the camera import feature on and off a few times, including a quick toggle, and a leaving the settings for a day or a reboot or two.  No change.  It still acts as if everything is up to date without importing anything.  I'm at a loss.  

Kim

Dropboxer

Have you by any chance tried reinstalling the desktop app as well? 

Let us know of any updates, @wisconsinkim!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

@Lusil and @Daphne,

Any other ideas?  I want to be able to move all of my digital storage fully onto Dropbox, but that doesn't really make sense until this import issue is resolved.  I appreciate your help!

Kim

Dropboxer

Could you check if your device is configured to import photos from the Backup tab?

Also, under your Account tab, could you hold the Option/Alt button and refresh the system warnings? Maybe this will allow the prompt to pop up again for you. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, @Lusil

I gave that a try today, but no luck.  Problem persists:  I plug in my phone, I approve importing, and nothing gets imported.  Dropbox  still says no syncing issues.    :disappointed face:  

Any other ideas?

Kim

Dropboxer

Are you able to manually import the files to your Dropbox folder or another location on your computer?

Also, it might be worth checking you have admin rights on your device. 

If all this fails, could you let me know if you've given your desktop app an advanced reinstall a try?

PS. If you're on a Basic (free) account, you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected in your Security tab to continue.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?