cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos stopped automatically sync'ing from iPhone and won't restart

Photos stopped automatically sync'ing from iPhone and won't restart

Stacia S.
Explorer | Level 4

My Dropbox got close to full (or maybe actually full?) and wouldn't sync. I deleted a bunch of photos, but it has never restarted syncing again. It no longer has the "Dropbox is getting full" message, but...it just doesn't sync. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice. I've manually selected photos to add to my Camera Uploads, which worked fine. But I can't figure out how to get it to start automatically uploading again. All of the help and forum q&a I've found refer to much older versions, apparently, because they mention Settings (which has nothing about choosing photo sync'ing) and other options (like Carousel) which are no longer offered.

Please help! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Photos stopped automatically sync'ing from iPhone and won't restart

Rich
Super User II

Stacia S. wrote:

Dropbox on my phone never "wakes up" and realizes there are new photos to sync - ever.

Did you allow access to your location data? Without it, Dropbox is unable to "wake up" and continue background uploading. This is a limitation that Apple has in place for apps that run in the background. They have a set amount of time that they're able to run before iOS puts them to sleep. Dropbox's way around this is to use a change in your location to trigger the process in the background and wake it up, so to speak.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Rich
Super User II
It is within Settings. You need to make sure that Camera Uploads is enabled. If it already is, disable and re-enable it.

Stacia S.
Explorer | Level 4

The option in Settings has been set, and re-set. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and reset the option - twice. Dropbox on my phone never "wakes up" and realizes there are new photos to sync - ever. 

What now?

Rich
Super User II

Stacia S. wrote:

Dropbox on my phone never "wakes up" and realizes there are new photos to sync - ever.

Did you allow access to your location data? Without it, Dropbox is unable to "wake up" and continue background uploading. This is a limitation that Apple has in place for apps that run in the background. They have a set amount of time that they're able to run before iOS puts them to sleep. Dropbox's way around this is to use a change in your location to trigger the process in the background and wake it up, so to speak.

View solution in original post

Stacia S.
Explorer | Level 4

That's interesting, and helpful to know. In the past, it's been annoying that Dropbox doesn't sync unless I keep my phone awake repeatedly.

But in this case, it doesn't sync EVER. Not when I'm actively "waking it up" by pulling down the page for photos, which in the past has resulted in seeing the uploading progress bar for whatever photo it's sync'ing. No progress bar ever appears now.

Also, I looked under Location services (under Settings > Privacy), and Dropbox isn't listed. So I'm not sure how to turn on Location services for it? It's not in Settings either. There IS an option for "Background App Refresh" which I have set to On. 

Other ideas?

Rich
Super User II

Stacia S. wrote:

Also, I looked under Location services (under Settings > Privacy), and Dropbox isn't listed.

It should be.

74a8c98061e3aacac6e01be848535d82.png

Can't sync Dropbox from iPhone - stopped syncing

Stacia S.
Explorer | Level 4

I asked this question earlier, but the responses from Rich did not help. And then he apparently marked the question as "solved" - when it was not solved! So I couldn't follow up any further. So I'm trying again. I hope someone besides Rich will respond. Perhaps even someone from Dropbox? I will be forced to find another syncing solution if no one can't solve this issue for me.

Here's my original post: 

My Dropbox got close to full (or maybe actually full?) and wouldn't sync. I deleted a bunch of photos, but it has never restarted syncing again. It no longer has the "Dropbox is getting full" message, but...it just doesn't sync. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling twice. I've manually selected photos to add to my Camera Uploads, which worked fine. But I can't figure out how to get it to start automatically uploading again. All of the help and forum q&a I've found refer to much older versions, apparently, because they mention Settings (which has nothing about choosing photo sync'ing) and other options (like Carousel) which are no longer offered.

Please help! 

Re: Can't sync Dropbox from iPhone - stopped syncing

Rich
Super User II

Stacia S. wrote:

I asked this question earlier, but the responses from Rich did not help. And then he apparently marked the question as "solved" - when it was not solved! So I couldn't follow up any further.

I did not mark your topic as Solved nor did I close it, but Dropbox probably did because the information provided was accurate and you hadn't responded in two days. I have, however, merged your new topic into the previous one and reopened it for replies.

I hope someone besides Rich will respond. Perhaps even someone from Dropbox?

Remember that this is primarily a user-supported forum. If you want assistance from Dropbox, you need to open a ticket with Support.

Open your ticket here: https://bit.ly/cm-support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Plus users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

I will be forced to find another syncing solution if no one can't solve this issue for me.

When you uninstalled the Dropbox app, did you restart the phone before reinstalling?

Rich
Super User II
Another thought occurred to me this morning. If you have a Basic account, make sure you have Dropbox installed on at least one computer. If you don't have Dropbox installed on a computer, the Camera Upload function is no longer available. This was a change made last July.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/photos-videos/camera-uploads-changes

Stacia S.
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply, I apologize for assuming that you had set the topic as solved. I've never participated in a forum where responses were automatically marked as the solution - ever. A definite strike against Dropbox in my book.

I did not restart my phone before reinstalling Dropbox. I can try that as a last ditch effort.

I appreciate being told about how to open a Support ticket, and I've done that. I did not see any information about opening Support tickets in my previous searches for help with this. Dropbox has a very poor Support system in my opinion, based on trying to solve this problem and doing multiple searches.

Not your problem, but Dropbox sync issues are definitely a bad user experience. Syncing issues are notoriously hard to get right (at least in my experience working with people at Microsoft who supported OneDrive) and there should be a complete and regularly updated FAQ with ever single possible way you can try to fix the sync issues, documented step by step, for each operating system. If it "just worked," we wouldn't need that. But sync doesn't just work. So we need comprehensive support. Dropbox doesn't come close to having that. </rant>

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Stacia S. Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?