cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures don't show up

Highlighted

Pictures don't show up

New member | Level 2

Two or three months ago, the pictures stopped showing when I click on a folder.   It only shows the file name.   When trying to upload a picture, I have to go to the Dropbox website, find the picture's file name, and then go back in and search for the file name to upload the picture.    What happened?   

6 Replies 6
Highlighted

Storage limit

New member | Level 2

My grandson opened a Dropbox account so I would send him all of his football and graduation pictures.    It let him download 20 pictures and then told him he was out of storage space.   Is that all Dropbox allows on the free account now???

Highlighted

Re: Pictures don't show up

Dropboxer

Hello @brigettgladden, thanks for reaching out. 

I moved your second post to be on the same thread as your first one, so that we can look at all your queries in one. 

The first thing I wanted to mention is that, what you describe in your second post, sounds like a shared folder.

Shared folders take up space in every member's account and, for this reason, users won't be able to sync new files if they don't have enough free space. 

Since you only want them to be able to view and download the photos, you can send them a shared link of the folder. 

As for your original concern, you mention that you're not able to see the files in your folder.

Are you having trouble finding them in your Dropbox folder via Finder/File Explorer, or the desktop app?

Give me a shout whenever you have the chance to check this out. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Hi.   Thanks for responding.    On my grandson's pictures, I "shared" the pictures with him.   I didn't know it would combine his storage and my storage (or I think that is what you said); however, I pay $11.99 a month and should have plenty of storage to accommodate both. 

On my pictures not showing up situation, an example would be when I'm trying to upload a picture of myself to an account profile or Facebook, when I click on "camera roll", it only shows the file name.  I use Google Chrome.  

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If the photos are in a folder that you shared with them, then it will take up space on both accounts. 

For this reason, they need to make sure that they have enough storage to have the shared folder on their account as well.

As for the pictures not showing up, you mention that you try to upload from your Camera Roll to another third party app, like Facebook.

Could you clarify how you're using the Dropbox app to do this?

If you could let me know the exact steps you take, that would be really helpful. 

Lusil

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

The folder wasn't shared ... just individual pictures.   

With the Facebook example, I click on the camera to upload a picture.   When Dropbox open for me to chose a photo, it only shows the file names of the photo instead of the actual photo.    It used to open up where I could see all the pictures and then chose.   

Highlighted

Dropboxer

If your grandson just downloaded the pictures that you sent to his Dropbox account, it may just be that he hit the 2 GB space limit for the Dropbox Basic free account.

Whether the files are shared, or he just downloaded a copy of the files, they will take space in his Dropbox account.

He can check in his plan page here how much space has been used in his account.

For the issue you're having with choosing files from Dropbox, could you send me a screenshot of how this looks to make sure we're on the same page?

Can you also let me know what you device's OS version is?

Keep me posted!

Daphne

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?