cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pictures in My Photos online show a photo icon instead of a preview. What can I do?

Pictures in My Photos online show a photo icon instead of a preview. What can I do?

Explorer | Level 3

When I transfer photos into My Photos in Dropbox, I get a photo icon, as opposed to a medium icon showing the actual picture.  In order to see what the picture is, I have to open the icon.  This takes forever to organize pictures this way.  How can I get the actual picture to show, rather than an icon?

9 Replies 9

Re: Pictures in My Photos file

Dropboxer

Hi there @steltrac, I hope you're well today!

It sounds like the page may just not be fully loaded yet, if you have any photos in your account it could just be a little slow to show those previews.

If you wait for a minute, do you see the icons load?

If not, please try clearing your browser cache to see if that helps.

You can also see if there is any difference in an incognito window, and another web browser altogether to rule out some browser related issues.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  When I go into Dropbox on the internet, I am able to get everything perfectly.

I also have a Dropbox icon on my desktop, but when I go in that way, that's when I have the problem.

But, no, it's not a loading issue, as it says it is all up to date.

Dropboxer

I see, thanks for clarifying that @steltrac!

Just to have some more info on your current setup, are you checking these photos from your file browser, or within the desktop app?

Also, are the files available locally, or Smart Synced as "online only"?

If possible, please send along a screenshot of what you see as the visual is always helpful.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

desktop app, and locally.

2020-11-18 13.02.15.jpg

Dropboxer

Could you try just making one of those files "online only" through the right click menu, and then make the file local again through the right click menu again?

We have seen an issue around the Community when simply double clicking an "online only" file to open it locally will cause the thumbnail to appear like a generic icon.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

That worked on some of them.  Do I have to do that on each icon?  Or juat on the master file?

C

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that helped somewhat @steltrac.

You can indeed do this for the folder the files are within, or just mass select all the files within the folder that you'd like to do this for before using the right click menu.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Worked on some, but, overall, not so much.

Dropboxer

Does it appear to be just random files that are not showing the preview? Or are they a specific file type perhaps?

Also, can you let me know which version of the desktop app you have installed, and your device's OS version?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?