cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 3 Offline Problem

Pixel 3 Offline Problem

oldfitball
Explorer | Level 3

Pixel 3 XL  Android 11 latest rev.

Dropbox files fully synchronized immediately before the following test.

Turn off wi-fi and no cellular data plan.

Run Dropbox.

Dropbox shows rotating circle for all files labeled as "offline."

After a minute or so the circles change to "orange !."

Cannot open or view my offline files.

Click "Offline" and all my files show an orange !

Shouldn't "offline" mean I can view them while not in wi-fi range.

7 Replies 7

Re: Pixel 3 Offline Problem

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hi @oldfitball, Welcome to the Dropbox Community!

If your phone is not connected to the internet, and changes were made to your offline files, you will see this yellow "!" icon, which should give you the option to tap and update the files manually. You should then be able to access your files.

Let me know if that's not the case!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

oldfitball
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your interest in my problem.

All files are updated and then I turn off wi-fi. No changes anywhere, all static files.

At that point I start dropbox and all files show the rotating circle which then turns into the static "!" circle.

Clicking on any file in the dropbox list, from texts to spreadsheets, brings up a related app which then endlessly waits for the file.

The related apps such as WPS Office, PasswordSafe, etc. work quite well on other local files so they don't seem to be the problem.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @oldfitball, thanks for the update on this.

Can you please try uninstalling the Dropbox app from your phone, restarting the device and then reinstalling it, to see if that resolves the issue?

Just before you uninstall, keep in mind that if you have a Dropbox Basic free account and you have more than 3 devices already connected to your account, you won't be able to reconnect this phone to your account.

If you need any more info, I'm one post away!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

oldfitball
Explorer | Level 3

Nope, deleted, restart, reinstalled: same thing.  The blue circles keep on turning.

Thanks for the 3-limit reminder. I cut down to 3 when the new rules were announced a long time ago.

When trying to open an offline file I also get the strange notification:  "Offline files failed to download..."

Of course I already downloaded them by clicking on the : "Make available offline" choice when it was online.

For those of us without a cell phone plan some form of cloud file sharing service is essential.

Still a mystery.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks for updating me on this!

Would you mind if I reached out to you via email, so we can look into this more closely?

Let me know!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

oldfitball
Explorer | Level 3

Of course.

It may be a result of the unpopular Android 12 scoped storage.

(content removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines)

Hannah
Dropboxer
Thanks, I just reached out to you via email, but for security reasons, I can only contact the email address you use here, in the Community. I hope that's OK.

Talk soon!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropboxer
    oldfitball Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?