cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Please don't block me from generating a link for a file that hasn't finished uploading

Please don't block me from generating a link for a file that hasn't finished uploading

terra1983
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

A new "feature" has been implemented where if I drop a new file in a DB folder, and then go to click on "Copy Dropbox Link", it simply won't perform the task until the file has finished uploading. 

Apparently this is to "prevent 404 errors". The "error" page that comes up when you clicked on a link before it had finished uploading was actually a "Uh Oh! File hasn't finished uploading yet". This to me isn't an "error" page and shouldn't be treated as such. It's clear and communicates exactly what it needs to and doesn't warrant a restriction in functionality for the rest of the users.

The solution you've silently implemented has caused a monstrous delay in my daily workflow.

I work in a fast paced environment, generating new content every hour and sharing it with dozens of people in my team. The fact that I can simply drop files and right-click and "copy link" and THEN carry on with the rest of my tasks while keeping an eye out for the spinning icon in the tray and THEN send the copied link to my recipients, means that I am FLOWING.

When I have to do that dozens of times per hour, if you block me from generating a link as soon as I drop it in the DB folder, you're forcing me to having to RETURN back to DB a second time in the process. You've added a whole extra step, and it's absolutely killed my flow.

95 Replies 95

NOCU
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

ok, i tried it again and it wasn't working for me. these are the steps i went through.

- downloaded a zipfile with 14 x 134mb audiofiles

- unpacked it and everything started syncing 1 by 1
- past the 15 secs, the files were 20% in the sync process 

- i was able to copy the link from an unsynced file but not able to paste it.

- after the file was synced i was able to paste it.

* interesting thing is that i didn't had to go and copy the link again, i just couldn't paste it yet, until the file was synced. 

anyway, still not fixed yet on my end..

jakeviator
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@terra1983 I swear it worked instantly yesterday, though today I'm experiencing the 15 second delay. 

Yes, Ilana was much more helpful and human than anyone I've encountered at dropbox.

I'm not super-sweating the 15 second delay, it's certainly much better than waiting hours for multi-gig files.

Don1990
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Fully agree! This feature wasn't hurting anything or anyone, instead it was just useful and helpful!

byHanko
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Though understanding the idea on principal, its bull**bleep**: 

1. I have to return a second time to complete a task

2. ruins my PHYSICAL workflow: often finish a job, send link, and leave office. Now I have to wait for the upload or completely reorganize my tasks.

DB, stop this asap ! Not acceptable...

terra1983
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@byHanko Agreed.

15 seconds is a lifetime when you're under a deadline and exchanging files with collaborators and clients. While you're waiting for those 15 seconds, you COULD jump back into your other software to carry on whatever else you're doing, but often you get distracted and end up forgetting to send the link. So I literally have to sit and wait. I never have to sit and wait for anything else in my workflow. Total killer.

Jennifer Nash
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Copy Dropbox link' feature is there, but now only copies the link once the file is uploaded to dropbox. 

It's always been handy to have the link available immediately, but now i can't get the link until the upload has been completed.  It's a huge time saver for me - I drag the large file to Dropbox, copy the link, paste it to an email or message, and move on to my next task.  When it's finished uploading I hit send.  Or, I send the link without the upload completed and send the email knowing it won't be read until the upload is completed

It's weird how much this is slowing me down!

Please restore this feature!  

Thank you,

Jennifer (I pay for Dropbox)

Condescending
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sorry it's so hard for you I think you may be doing wrong things though

Grant H.5
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Up until recently, you could copy a Dropbox link and paste it to a party while the file is still uploading. You can no longer do this, and it is hampering my efficiency and increases the likelihood of mistakes.

I work in large files when delivering to clients. In the past you could right-click, Copy Link, and send the message with a note to check in a few minutes after the file is done uploading. If the recipient clicked the link early, they were prompted with a message saying the file was still uploading. Then you could move on to the next project immediately.

Now you are required to sit and wait for large files to finish uploading before you can move on to anything else in your day. Either you wait it out or you risk forgetting to go back and copy the link.

And because I am used to copying the links instantly, I still do it. Dropbox doesn't inform the user that the Copy Link function failed. So I risk pasting a link to the wrong file without realizing it.

I request you reinstate the "copy link while while files are still being delivered to Dropbox" feature. If not, please have the app play a sound and post an error to the screen that warns you your link did not copy.

If you're going to remove a feature that people use frequently, you must account for it by having error/toast messages that reflect this change.

I love Dropbox. ❤️ Keep up the great work, but HALP!

ryanxx
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This has been killing my workflow too, I've tried googling the issue many times before without finding this thread, now realising it's not just me who has this issue, I urge dropbox to please BRING IT BACK!

wpuymac
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same!

Need more support?