cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn more about how Connie, a member of the Community, uses Dropbox here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Accidently deleted my files!

Please help! Accidently deleted my files!

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I activated the dropbox app to share some of my pictures, but it immediately went to synchronising all of my data. Since I didn't want that, I removed the "my pc" folder from the dropbox, or so I thought, because apparently this removed all of my files from my computer.

I logged in to dropbox and tried to restore all the deleted files but that seems to have worked only partially. There are a lot of files and even folders missing, but dropbox says that I don't have any other deleted files.

This is a complete disaster! How can I restore the rest of my files? Please please help me!

12 Replies 12

Re: Please help! Accidently deleted my files!

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

I should add that I might have deleted the folder during synchronisation

Mark
Super User II

If they hadnt synchronized then they are not recoverable via Dropbox - because Dropbox doesnt know they exist I'm afraid. 

HOWEVER, they should be in the recycle bin on your computer unless it said it was too large to fit and you agreed to not place them in there. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

They are not in the recycle bin, I already checked that. How can this even happen? Why do files get deleted that are nto even uploaded to dropbox? Absolutely ALL of my files had been wiped.  I cannot believe Dropbox wouldn't prevent this from happening. I didn't even get the choice not to have all of my files synchronised.

Mark
Super User II

You deleted them from your computer - thats your decision I'm afraid not a Dropbox one. The files on your computer are in your control. They were syncing to Dropbox - that happens in the background, its not a process thats on screen and in front of you. 

So when you delete/edit or move a file thats in the Dropbox folder it is still on your computer like any other file or folder. The only difference is the changes replicate to Dropbox.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

What I don't understand is that I didn't delete the files on my pc. I deleted the folder inside the dropbox folder. Why does this wipe the files on my computer?

Mark
Super User II

Because its a folder on your computer. The Dropbox folder is a genuine, real life, actual folder on your computer. It is no different to say Documents, Downloads or Desktop. 

The only difference it has is that things inside that folder sync to the cloud. 

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

Yes I understand that it's an actual folder, but why is the dropbox folder identical to my local files? I have dropbox basic, the files should stay locally. Now if I delete my dropbox accoutn, which I definitely want to do, will the restored files be deleted again? How can I save them?

Mark
Super User II

Your not understanding what I am saying. The files ARE local. They ARE on your computer. The folder on your computer IS LOCAL. If you close the Dropbox application from the tool bar those files will still be there because it is a local folder. 

The files on the cloud are identical to that folder because, simply put, that is what Dropbox is supposed to do. It syncs the local folder to the cloud. What you then do to one mirrors and replicates to the other.

ib8
Explorer | Level 3

I do understand that it is local, but whatever. How can I delete my account without deleting my files? I never wanted them to be synchronised.

Poll
Are you starting new work habits this year?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?