cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! Entire Computer Gone!

Please help! Entire Computer Gone!

amberkennedy
New member | Level 2

Hi All- 
Thank you in advance for the help, I really appreciate it. 

So about 4 weeks ago I downloaded dropbox to access some files from a colleague of mine, but I managed to sync my entire computer to it. I deleted dropbox and it no longer showed the files as being synced so I thought it was fine. 
Fast forward to this week and I go to move files- I realized any time I try to move files they become corupt and I cannot open them, so I look into the file location and it shows that I have a dropbox folder on my user account on my computer. So I went to delete it, and it deleted EVERY SINGLE THING on my computer, so of course I reinstalled it..
So my question.. How do I delete this folder without deleting all of my files? 
And follow up question- the files I have moved, any idea on how to make them viewable again? or will I need to rescan every one of them? (about 4,000 so I'd like to avoid that if possible)

Thank you again

1 Reply 1

Re: Please help! Entire Computer Gone!

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @amberkennedy, welcome to the Dropbox Community! 

It seems you're referring to our Computer Backup feature. Am I right? 

Here's how you'll be able to disable the feature, and move all the content back.

As for the files you moved, can you clarify where you moved them, and the errors you get on your end when you try to preview them? 

Let me know what you find.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?