cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prevent synchronization after new Dropbox installation

Prevent synchronization after new Dropbox installation

Explorer | Level 4

Hello!
I added a new hard disk, with new operative system (Win 10), to my desktop PC; I have already installed Dropbox, which I already used with my old OS (Win 7) but, before synchronizing.......

I still have my Dropbox shared folder available in the "old" hard disk.
Is there an existing procedure that can help me, somehow, making a simple "drag and drop" of my old folder to the new hard disk (and OS) and getting it synchronized without sync-downolading? (I'd like to avoid a full new download of my stuff and save some Gb because I don't have a flat contract with my internet provider)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Prevent synchronization after new Dropbox installation

Dropboxer

Hey @g_a_b_, thanks for posting!

What I could suggest would be install and set up the app on the device, and once the app starts to "sync", you can pause the syncing process. 

While the syncing is paused, you can copy over the contents of the "old" folder to the new Dropbox folder the app created.

Once you've made the copy, you can resume the sync, and the app will instead index the files within the folder and crosscheck them with your account online.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dropboxer

Hey @g_a_b_, thanks for posting!

What I could suggest would be install and set up the app on the device, and once the app starts to "sync", you can pause the syncing process. 

While the syncing is paused, you can copy over the contents of the "old" folder to the new Dropbox folder the app created.

Once you've made the copy, you can resume the sync, and the app will instead index the files within the folder and crosscheck them with your account online.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Explorer | Level 4

Great!
It worked perfectly, thank you a lot!

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @g_a_b_!

I'm just a post away if you need anything else. :beaming face with smiling eyes:

Hope you have a great rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?