cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Previous employer preventing me from using my own Gmail address for login?

Highlighted

Previous employer preventing me from using my own Gmail address for login?

New member | Level 2

My new employer added me to his Dropbox, but when I log in, I get an error message from Dropbox saying my account no longer exists. I tried to re-sign up for Dropbox using my Gmail address, but that elicits an error message saying the account already exists.

I think what happened was that my Dropbox account (which was set up using my personal Gmail address) was assocaited with my previous employer's Dropbox, and she deleted my access since I no longer work there. But as a result, Dropbox won't let me log in using my own Gmail address -- so now I can't access the Dropbox of my current employer.

So it seems like my Dropbox account -- which is set up with my personal email address that is in no way controlled by my previous employer -- is now held hostage? With no way to reset?

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: Previous employer preventing me from using my own Gmail address for login?

Dropboxer

Hi @JopBox; welcome to our Computer. 

Can you please let me know how long has this been happening and, if possible, send me a screenshot of the exact errors you get (omitting any personal information) so I can have a better look into this? 

Any additional information is more than welcome! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Thanks -- here are screenshots. In the first, Dropbox won't let me sign into my account because it says it's deleted. In the second, it won't let me sign up for an account with that same Gmail address because it says it's taken.

DROPBOX1.jpgDROPBOX2.jpg

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Ah, I see now; thanks for the screenshots and additional details @JopBox.

There's a grace period of 7 days for a team admin to re-instate a deleted member's account; how long has it been since you were removed from the team account in question?

In this case, you can contact the admin and have them restore your account as a member of the team and from there, convert it to an individual one if needed. 

Let me know how you get on!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?