cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Privacy

Highlighted

Privacy when previewing files

Explorer | Level 4

Does Dropbox keep track of how long I open a file or view a video for? If they do what is the reason for it?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:
Hi Jay, can you expand on the exception? You say shared files are and only have limits to the preview itself, what does that mean?

He's referring to the length limits when streaming audio or video files through a shared link. If you share a link to an audio or video file, people viewing the link will only be able to stream the first 15 minutes of that file when you have a Basic account. If you have a Plus, Family or Professional account, the first 60 minutes can be streamed. And if you have a Business account, the first 4 hours can be streamed.

So, while Dropbox isn't tracking the amount of time that YOU spend on a file, they are tracking how long that file can be viewed based on the limits appropriate to the file owner's account, and then ending the stream when that limit is reached.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: Privacy when previewing files

New member | Level 2

I don't think that they keep track on your viewing time. Only thing I know is that they track the last time you opened a file. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hi @Henry1001, thanks for joining the Community!

Currently, Dropbox doesn't track how long you're viewing files for.

The only possible exception would be for audio and video files in a shared link, which have limits to the preview itself, so it isn't tracking as such.

If you have any specific concerns or queries, please let me know more!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4
Hi Jay, can you expand on the exception? You say shared files are and only have limits to the preview itself, what does that mean?
Highlighted

Super User II

@Henry1001 wrote:

He's referring to the length limits when streaming audio or video files through a shared link. If you share a link to an audio or video file, people viewing the link will only be able to stream the first 15 minutes of that file when you have a Basic account. If you have a Plus, Family or Professional account, the first 60 minutes can be streamed. And if you have a Business account, the first 4 hours can be streamed.

So, while Dropbox isn't tracking the amount of time that YOU spend on a file, they are tracking how long that file can be viewed based on the limits appropriate to the file owner's account, and then ending the stream when that limit is reached.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?