cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Synced Folders

Problem with Synced Folders

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Lately I have been having problems with pushing my documents onto a shared dropbox folder. I am not the owner of this folder.

Background:
I am currently on a free account (5GB) and I am nowhere near my cap (3GB used currently).
My collaborator has shared a dropbox folder in which they would like me to add documents into. However, whenever I add a document onto this shared folder, it's only accesible to me and cannot be viewed by anyone else unless I generate a specific link and send it to my collaborators.

I attempted to tackle this problem by screen sharing what I am seeing on my end and what my collaboraters are seeing on their end. On their end they see me as one of the few users who can edit in the folder, but on my end, I only see myself as the owner and the only person who has access to this folder. I asked them to create a new folder (test folder) and even on my end (after logging in and out, checking desktop Dropbox and browser dropbox) I cannot seem to see the folder they had just created. I veirifed on thier end that it shows that I do have access to edit this newly created test folder but it is not appearing on my end.

How do I resolve this?

My other shared folders (in which I am not an owner on) is working fine and I am seeing files being uploaded by others. But just this specific folder and with this specific user.

3 Replies 3

Re: Problem with Synced Folders

Dropboxer

Hi @Addy1, thanks for taking the time to message us!

It sounds like either this isn't a shared folder on your end, or they're different folders. Is it possible you have a folder with the same name as the shared folder? Does the folder have the two-person icon on it to show it is shared? 

Are you able to add the shared folder from this page online?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Looks to me like its a shared folder.Looks to me like its a shared folder.

@Jay Hopefully this helps! 

I do not have any other folders named like this. 

How do I go about adding the folder online? I would prefer not to if this can be resolved.

I have also been added to a Family Dropbox plan so space was not the issue. 

Dropboxer

Can you see the files and folders on the Dropbox site when you upload them? Are they only appearing in the Dropbox folder? Is the Dropbox desktop application syncing?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?