cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with backup (folders not in default location) after migrating to new mac

Problem with backup (folders not in default location) after migrating to new mac

YC_KS
Helpful | Level 5

I used the migration system to move all content from my old MacBook to the new one. After the migration, dropbox no longer automatically backups my Desktops, Documents, etc.

I tried to set up the backup again using the dropbox preference, but I got the error message that the folders are not in their default location and I should move them back to their default location.

Since I haven't moved the folders myself, I have not idea what should be the default location.  I can't delete the backup of my old MacBook either.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Problem with backup (folders not in default location) after migrating to new mac

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot @YC_KS!

In this case, could you remove this device from your account's Security page and try to set it up anew? 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

27 Replies 27

Re: Problem with backup (folders not in default location) after migrating to new mac

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi there @YC_KS; welcome to the Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

I'm not sure if that's the case here, but I'm guessing that upon migrating to your new computer, your folder paths changed, probably because the device's name itself changed. This could cause issues with the computer backup feature and/or syncing as well. 

Can you please send us a screenshot of the error you get and one of the app's status as shown in your menu bar?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

YC_KS
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your reply. I also think that it may have something to do with the device's name.

Here are the screenshots.

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.33.53.png

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 13.34.33.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot @YC_KS!

In this case, could you remove this device from your account's Security page and try to set it up anew? 

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

YC_KS
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Walter!

Yes, it solved my problem! Thank you!

Walter
Dropboxer
Glad to hear this helped @YC_KS.

See you around the Community and have a lovely weekend!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Arnaud3
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I've the same issue. Even after applying your recommandations...

Walter
Dropboxer
Hey @Arnaud3, thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Just to make sure we're on the same page, can you send us a screenshot of where you get stuck?

Any additional information will be more than welcome too! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hseitz75
Explorer | Level 4

Having the same issue... I find solutions that say right click and restore default, but this is not an option. 

hseitz75_0-1623163367607.png

Walter
Dropboxer
Are you doing this on the website or via the desktop app @hseitz75?

What's the app's status as shown in your system tray/menu bar

Thanks for joining the discussion here by the way!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PCUser1964 New member | Level 2
    pinganswer New member | Level 2
    revik345 Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?