cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Problem with file versions on android

Problem with file versions on android

Eschacha
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there. I'm trying to open .docx files on my Samsung tablet. The preview in Dropbox shows the current version which was created on my pc, but when I open the file in word on my tablet it opens an older version. I have updated both Dropbox and Word to the latest version, I have unlinked and relinked dropbox in word as suggested in another post, but the problem continues. The problem seems to be happening on my galaxy s phone as well. I've found quiet a few posts about this on Microsoft forums, they seem to be blaming Dropbox without really looking into it. To date I can't find any solutions. Can anyone help?

4 Replies 4

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey, @Eschacha, thanks for getting in touch on our community. Let’s see…

When you say that the current version of the document shows in Dropbox, do you mean through the Dropbox mobile app? 

Can you tell me the steps you’re taking to open the document in Word? For instance, are you locating the current file version in the Dropbox app, and opening it from there? Are you opening Word first, and then locating the document to open? Are you perhaps opening the document from the Recent menu in Word? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Eschacha
Explorer | Level 4
Thanks for getting back to me. I have tried both these methods, though my normal is to open the file in the Dropbox app, which opens it in the preview and then open it in word from there. In the preview I have the correct version though when it loads in word it is the last edited version from my tablet, not the most recent version edited on my PC. If I open the file in word bypassing Dropbox, the same issue happens. I had thought it might be a caching issue with word, but not entirely sure how to clear any caches.

I can make it work by renaming the file on my PC, this seems to force my tablet to load the file as new. Renaming it in the Dropbox app doesn't seem to work however.

I have uninstalled both the Dropbox and Word apps and reinstalled them. This seems to work, though the problem comes back after a few weeks. Uninstalling one or the other does not seem to have any effect.

Stupink
Explorer | Level 4

I am having this problem too!  Samsung note 10+.  all latest operating systems, word versions and dropbox versions.

To clarify.. if I make a file on my PC.. and type in the words "written on pc"

I can then open it in android word (either the open dialog box, or browse for it in dropbox app and open with word) and read "written on pc"

I then  add to it "written on my phone"... auto save...

when I go back to my pc and open the file it just says "written on pc" I can then add "2nd paragraph on pc" and save/sync

When i go dropbox app on my phone and preview the file in dropbox I now see "written on pc, and 2nd paragraph on pc".. but when i click open in android word, or go to android word and use open and search dropbox for the file... I open it and see "written on pc, written on phone" and no mention of the second paragraph..

it is as though once word has downloaded the file, it saves it in cache on the phone and it never saves or retrieves it again from the web...   VERY occasionally word pops up a banner at the top saying something along the lines of can't save as conflicting changes from another user or something along those lines so its occasionally trying to access the web to save.. but it always seems to open this cached version.

I've even uninstalled word (though it was preinstalled by samsung so it doesnt *really* remove it, and reinstall.. and of course re-authorised my dropbox account,  but all this does is get the newest version from dropbox that first time, and then as before constantly referr back to it all the time after that.

*slight edit*

It appears that after a reinstall or re-authorisation, you can edit and change the file as many times as you like in Android, and it saves it to dropbox (verified by previewing in dropbox android app).. and that a problem only occurs after you then open the file on a pc and re-save.. THEN android word does not see that new version and opens the one it previously saved..   but again i can confirm if you preview the file in dropbox app then you see the latest pc edited version and the android word version seems not to exist anywhere but on android word..

apologies for the ranting, i dont know whats useful or not.

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Eschacha, @Stupink, this sounds like it's an issue with the Microsoft app, since the file appears normally on the Dropbox site and app.

It's possible that the Word app is saving a cache of the old file an isn't updating it. The iOS Microsoft Word app does provide an option to 'clear all documents' which resolves the issue, however, there isn't a similar option on the Android app.

I'd recommend contacting Microsoft support on this matter to see if they have any further information which could help out.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?