cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems of opening a certain file type (maple document) from my dropbox folder

Problems of opening a certain file type (maple document) from my dropbox folder

Explorer | Level 3

Hi 

I have a problem. I can't open a certain filetype directly from my dropbox folder. The file type is called .mw (maple). But if i open the program first and then use the open file function, it works fine. 
I have contacted maple and they think that the problem could be related to dropbox not saving the file locally on my computer. 

I have checked, and it seems like it is stored locally. 

I am using the free version of dropbox. (version 111.4.472)

Do you have any suggestions of what could be wrong? 

best regards 

10 Replies 10

Re: Problems of opening a certain file type (maple document) from my dropbox folder

Dropboxer

Hi @Abemand, thanks for messaging today!

Does the file have a cloud icon, or a green tick on it in Explorer/Finder? What error do you get when you attempt to open the file directly?

Does quitting the Dropbox desktop application help you to open the file?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Problems of opening a certain file type (maple document) from my dropbox folder

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for answering.

The file has a green tick in the lower left corner. If i try to open it, Window's wait cursor appear for a while and then disapears (the program/software does not open).

I have tried to quit dropbox, but that those not seem to solve the problem. 

Dropboxer

If you get the same results after quitting our desktop app, then the problem lies somewhere else @Abemand.

Can you try copying or moving this file to another location and open it from there?

While we're at it, have you made sure that your device is set to open this type of files with the specific software? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

when i copy the file to another place (for instance the desktop) there is no problem of opening the file. 

To your second quiestion, yeah i have set windows to open .mw files with the specific software (maple). 

I have also been thinking if the software struggles with opening from foldernames containg space symbols. I have just tried that out as well, and there is no problem here neither. 

Do you have any other suggestion of what could be the problem? 

The simplest solution would be to save my maple files in another folder placed outside dropbox, but then it is not that smart to have a cloudbased hardrive

Regards

Dropboxer

Do you happen to have all files of this file type within specific folders in Dropbox?

If you try making a copy of one of these files within the top level of the Dropbox folder, are you still unable to open the file?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same problem, but with a twist.  I can open the files from dropbox, but some of them do not run as intended.  If I drag the files to another directory, or move them to the desktop, then they run as intended.  All of these files are in dropbox\Maple directory.  If I move them to the top level dropbox folder, they run as intended as well.  

Windows 10, dropbox v112.4.321

Dropboxer

Hey there @gkokovid; thanks for joining the discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Can you please send us a screenshot of the exact error you get when you try to open those files? 

While we're at it, do they happen to have big names (i.e. long file-paths) or any incompatible characters perhaps? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hello Walter.  Thank you for your reply.  I can open the files no problem.  I have attached multiple screenshots.

When I open a Maple file from the Dropbox\Maple directory, and try to execute it (it calls a library file in another directory), it does not work.  

If I open the same Maple file from Dropbox, or by dragging it anywhere else (Desktop, another folder), it runs just fine.  Nothing has changed in the file itself.

First picture is the Dropbox\Maple directory showing the file.  Second picture is Maple, running the file with an error.  Third picture is Dropbox directory (dragged file from Dropbox\Maple to Dropbox).  Fourth picture is file running in Maple without error.  Fifth picture is two sessions of Maple, side by side, with the files from each of the directories above, running side by side, one with and error and one without.

M2.jpgM3.jpgM4.jpgM5.jpgM6.jpg

Regards,

Georgios

Explorer | Level 3

I just figured it out.  Maple, on a Windows platform, creates it's own .ini file, with startup info, as well as a history of files that have been opened.  I deleted this file, and restarted Maple.  This created a new .ini file, and the problem went away.  Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Georgios

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?