cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems sharing folders

Problems sharing folders

oonabe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

sorry, is already solved, I got an Email saying there was a problem with one of the files and I needed to restore the sharing options through a link, now is everything working fine again.

I'm trying to share a couple of folders with a family member and I can't find a way to do it because everything I try gives me some sort of error.

When I try to create a link it doesn't and the app tells me that I have no rights to create a sharing link to that folder - I'm the owner of it, actually the only one and haven't shared it with anyone else.

When I try to change the folder to shared and add a person I get the error that I have reached my invitation limit for today and I should try in 24 hours, but I have sent one single invitation in the last 24 hours and that was to the root folder, which unfortunately was too big (I'm using Dropbox Professional and the other person the free version so he cannot synchronize the root folder completely because it's too big).

I've read about clearing the browser cache in other similar threads but I've done it, I've tried from two different PC's and using the browser as well as through windows explorer, nothing helps, I get those errors from the very start and I can't find a way to share the smaller folders now.

Any other ideas for a solution?

Cheers and thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks, oonabe

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  I am glad you figured out whats the issue is and thanks for getting back here to inform us.  FYI, next time you have success and you want to let everyone know, then please instead of crossing out what you wrote, just reply to yourself, letting us know that it is resolved.

The reason being is that others can read whats your issue is and benefit themselves.  Especially if they search for the same issues.   

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Thanks, oonabe

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.  I am glad you figured out whats the issue is and thanks for getting back here to inform us.  FYI, next time you have success and you want to let everyone know, then please instead of crossing out what you wrote, just reply to yourself, letting us know that it is resolved.

The reason being is that others can read whats your issue is and benefit themselves.  Especially if they search for the same issues.   

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @oonabe, thanks for posting on our Community!

I'm glad to hear that you're back up and running again.

Please let us know if you come up with any Dropbox question in the future.

Until then, take care!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

arverni
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

So what WAS the solution?  I'm having a similar problem, but your entry offers no solution, nor the responses saying they're glad you solved it.

oonabe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

the solution was clicking the link in the Email I got from the Dropbox staff saying there was an error with one of the files, so if you're having issues try to contact dropbox directly or open a ticket here so the Dropbox staff can see it and help you with it, I didn't solve the issue by myself.

Also, check if your files have some sort of unusual icon on their name, like some emoji in the file name, that is also sometimes a cause for error when syncing and sharing

arverni
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for responding.  I've tried contacting Dropbox but Chat just offers one suggestion then directs me to the Community.  The phone line directs me to the community.  One place said I could contact Dropbox by email but I can't find any way to do it.  And therefore I can't click any link in an email from Dropback.  How did you manage to get a hold of them?

Steve (arverni)

oonabe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I never really contacted them directly, I tried several solutions (the ones I put in the original message here) and then I wrote here because I coudln't find other way to solve the problem either, at some point I got an Email from Dropbox saying that my Dropbox share was shut down for 24 hours due to an error with one of the files and in that same Email there was a link to restore the sharing option without having to wait those 24 hours, so I did and everything worked fine after that.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Try looking at this Help Center Article:  https://help.dropbox.com/sync/files-not-syncing 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @arverni, how are you today?

Feel free to let me know more as to what you're experiencing on your end, so I can provide any help or next troubleshooting steps. 

Thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    Chris_J Super User
    oonabe Explorer | Level 4
    arverni Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?