cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Smart Sync

Problems with Smart Sync

janomanzali
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I’m getting this warning from dropbox on my desktop computer: “Smart Sync is experiencing an issue. To open online-only files and folders, right-click and choose Smart Sync and then Local.”

I can’t change any ’local’ files to ‘online-only’ using Smart Sync but changing ‘online-only’ files to ‘local’ still works. There were also files inside dropbox which didn’t save properly causing me to lose a lot of the work.

I think I started experiencing these issues right after a failed attempt to make a bootable clone of my OS drive (where the dropbox folder is located). During the cloning backup my computer just turned off on its own. After more failed attempts, I noticed the issue with dropbox and ran disk utilities’ first aid with my drive. It said some files were corrupted, which I seemed to have fixed by using first aid in recovery mode. However dropbox is still not working properly. I also tried deleting dropbox then reinstalling to the newest version with no luck

Any ideas on what’s going on?

OS X - 10.14.16 Mojave

Dropbox version - V123.4.4832

Best,

Jano

3 Replies 3

Re: Problems with Smart Sync

Lori
Dropboxer

Hey @janomanzali, I hope you're doing well this Monday! 

As a first step, can I ask your Dropbox app's syncing status?

I’d also recommend updating your desktop app to our latest stable version using the offline installer-maybe that will do the trick. 

Also, when you try to change "local" files to "online-only" do you see an error?

Could you please send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of this so as to have a better understanding of this? 

Thank you!

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

janomanzali
New member | Level 2

Hi Lori,

Thanks for the reply.

Dropbox syncing status says 'up to date'

I tried deleting my Dropbox app and offline installing using the link you provided but the problem still persists.

When i right-click a 'loca'l file, I don't see a smart sync option at all. When I right-click a 'online-only' file, I see the smart sync option, but only with a 'local' option to select. I've attached screenshots showing this issue and Dropbox's warning,

Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 3.42.49 PM.png

right-clicking 'local' file.png

right-clicking 'online-only' file.png

  

Lori
Dropboxer
Thank you so much for all the info & screenshots @janomanzali

What plan is your Dropbox account under? 

If I were you, I'd also go over this Help Center article to make sure you've ruled out all other possibilities.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lori Dropboxer
    janomanzali New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?