Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Problems with smart sync online settings changing

Explorer | Level 4

We have a large dropbox with a lot of data at work. We usually use smart sync, where we have most files online and only keep the files we work on locally. I have to reinnstall the dropbox, and have choosen only online when I innstalled the dropbox. It worked as it was supposed to at first, but at some point it started loading the whole dropbox into my machine- which is ofcourse a problem.

I have tried to re choose only online on the folders, but I keeps switching back to local the next time I check. Has anybody had the same problem?

11 Replies 11
Highlighted

Re: Problems with smart sync online settings changing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @RannveigL, from what I gather from your description, it looks as if files are downloaded locally without your input, so that makes me think that there’s an application asking to access this content. If that’s happening, Dropbox serves this request by recalling those files on your pc/Mac & I’d suggest having a look at this resource here for some hints to help tackle this issue. 

Please have a look at my suggestions at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way on our discussion here. Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

"Save" dialog boxes cause all visible files to start downloading

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

When I'm saving a document to any folder in Dropbox, all of the files visible in that folder start to automatically sync. Once the file is saved and the dialog box is gone, the sync stops, but any files that downloaded remain synced.

This causes numerous problems as I'm often working remotely on slower networks or tethered to a cellular device and it take up unnecessary space on my laptop. 

Why does merely viewing a directory in an Open or Save dialog box cause everything to begin syncing? This needs fixed.

Highlighted

Re: "Save" dialog boxes cause all visible files to start downloading

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @Shawn T.2, thanks for taking the time to drop us a line on this inquiry; I’ve moved your post under this conversation, as it was echoing the behavior described by the OP here. 

It’s my understanding that you’re working with Online-only files & these are becoming Local without this being your own doing; please let me know if I’m missing anything along the way. If so Shawn, then the resource I had linked above should be helpful to get going with that. I hope that this helps to some extent & I’m always around if you have any follow-up questions or observations!

Jane

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Jane,

The resource you linked to does reiterate my problem, but it doesn't offer a solution (merely a work-around). It states that "Some applications need to look at your files to work, and that makes Dropbox download the files" which to me is the part that needs fixed.

Why does an entire directory need to be downloaded in order for a file to be saved?

Why does every document in an App's "Recent Files" need to be downloaded when it's launched? 

I understand it's as easy as right-clicking and choosing Online-Only, but that's an unnecessary burden on the user when I didn't request those files to be downloaded. There's a tremendous amount of wasted bandwidth and disk usage because of this issue.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion. I understand what you are referring too, but this won't make all the files download would it? All my settings were initially when innstalling dropbox «online only». But at some point dropbox just ignored this, and started downloading everything. When I change the setting to «online only», dropbox ignores this- when I check the settings later it's back to «local». This is on every file in the whole dropbox, and the size of the dropbox is many tb.

I opened my old machine yesterday, the drobox also it also started downloading everything- which is really strange since I've used the same principles for my old machine - only some files are local, the rest is online only.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back in touch with me here @Shawn T.2! For context, please note that we’ve discussed this behavior on this thread previously regarding Adobe Photoshop files; I'm merely including that here to help you paint a clearer picture. Generally speaking, Dropbox will merely serve the files so as to fulfill the request to the application that’s already stored them in their Recents menu, meaning that if you’re using an app that’s keeping track of the content it's edited in a similar directory, it may “ask” to index that specific content upon launch (i.e. thus reverting to Local). 

If you’d like to adjust your bandwidth, so as to sync more effectively, you could have an additional look at this thread here

I hope that this is a bit more helpful to you! 

but this won't make all the files download would it?
Following @RannveigL , I’d say that you’re describing isn’t expected. If that’s okay with you, could you include a bit more detail regarding the Smart-Sync settings that wouldn’t stick on your devices (i.e. does this refer to those you can see when you right-click on content or what you've chosen on your Sync  tab)? Have you noticed the same discrepancy across computers or is it different on each device? Please let me know & we’ll take it from there! 

Thanks again to both for keeping in touch with me here! 

Jane

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This has also been an issue for me. I set everything to online only, and then interact with a single file. When I sync one file in a folder, the entire folder starts downloading, and I have limited space on my mac so it causes a huge issue, and I have to set the folder back to online only immediately after editing a file. Would love to get a fix for this. 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @flashfox; thanks for joining our Community.

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with files being downloaded to your device after you've set them to be 'Online Only' via the Smart Sync settings you get through our desktop app.

I'd really like to look into this so please let me know if you'd  like me to reach out to the email address that's connected to your Community's profile so we can work on this internally. I'm only asking because I'll probably need to take a look at your device's logs to troubleshoot in a more efficient way - I hope you understand. 

Thanks! 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem. I select my dropbox folder and choose the 'Online only' option but it doesn not seem to actually check that option in the menu. Really frustrating that this simple option to choose 'Online only' does not work and does not provide any error message or notification about the issue.

Dropbox is trying to download and sync 90000 files and is using most of my RAM and CPU. Somehow I doubt that many files are to populate recently used files lists. No third party apps are using dropbox. I have turned off anti-virus. All these things listed in the help here https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/smart-sync-files-downloaded

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?